Re: Re: Mobile broadband and CCTV

Thanks for your comments.

I=92ve now got it all working and am quite impressed :-)

I=92m not sure why 3 =93technical support=94 told me that they didn=92t
sup=
port a
dyndns service =96 I can only assume they didn=92t understand what I was
tr=
ying
to do.

The speed seems ok when viewing remotely =96 no worse than when connecting
via the LAN. It=92s a bit juddery at times but I think it=92s the CCTV box
itself that is a bit underpowered.

I have signal strengths of 12-22% with the dongle located in the attic =96
the 3 coverage checker didn=92t predict great results for the street so
thi=
looks consistent. Do the mobile operators gather real life network speeds
and relate that to location via triangulation to local cell masts, or is
that a bit too advanced?

Browsing speeds are good when connecting a laptop to the router locally, so
it=92s certainly a usable alternative to a fixed line.

The only niggle is that on a reset of the dongle (e.g. power outage) I get
a new IP address on the WAN side. And while my router will update my dyndns
account it recommends not doing it too frequently as I might be mistaken
for a spammer?!?! Maybe the router has an =93update on change=94 setting,
b=
ut I
haven=92t found it yet. I=92m reasonably local so it=92s not too much
troub=
le to
go there and force an update =96 shame I can=92t do it remotely but
that=92=
s then
chicken & egg=85

Cheers,

Tim.

On 5 May 2012 20:52, domdevitto <dom@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ignore the 'class' stuff, nobody uses that anymore - everyone routes
and
> allocates using CIDR notation, e.g. 1.2.3.0/24 .
>
> Dom
>
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Nigel,
> >
> > I am being assigned a "Class B" public IP - 188.x.x.x
> > (according to this link:
> > http://www.ccnaprep.com/public_ip_address_range.htm)
> >
> > IP addresses are quoted twice on the Vigor setup screen (I can't
rememb=
er
> > how they're described) but they are both the same. I'll go back
later &
> get
> > some screen prints so I can refresh my memory!
> >
> > With the APN, I saw some forum posts that suggested
"3internet" should =
be
> > used for data, while "three.co.uk" was for phones. I'm
using 3internet.

> > Ping response times are between 190 and 351ms - don't know if
that's go=
od
> > or bad but pinging the dyndns name resolves to the
"correct" IP.

> > Many thanks,
> > Tim.
> >

> > On 5 May 2012 13:28, Nigel Giddings <nigel@...> wrote:
> >
> > > Tim,
> > >
> > > From memory there are 2 APN settings that '3' have, one
provides an
> > > external IP and the other provides an internal (to three) IP
address.

> > > Is the IP address that is allocated to you by three, the one
you see
> with
> > > DYNDNS a public IP?
> > >
> > > Nigel

2820n router=
,
> > > Huawei E200 USB dongle (to plug into router) and a mobile BB
sim from
> 3.
> > > As I was expecting the 3G coverage at the property isn't
great
> although I
> > > do get a connection and can surf / pick up emails etc.
> > >
> > > The updater on the Vigor router correctly updates dyndns
with my the
> > > dongle's current IP so I know that works.
> > > Pinging <mydomain>.dyndns.org works and reports the
correct IP
> address.
> > >
> > > However, when I try to connect to the house from a remote
location,
> > > internet explorer (need activeX) returns a "cannot
display the webpag=
e"