From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Tim Hawes
Sent: 26 March 2012 17:01
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] CCTV DVR choices

Hi Paul,

I'm going through the same process just now, although I need cameras as
well. I quite like the "677" from www.henrys.co.uk - 8 channel,
1TB storage
for =A3300+vat. I haven't investigated the wish list features any further
t=
han
a "ticking the box" exercise so quite what the recorded
resolution, or ease
of use of remote interface is, I don't yet know.

>From what I recall, the 677 model (like many others at Henrys) uses a
12-square grid for motion detection.

Some of the resolution would be down the the spec of the cameras though,
i.e. no. of lines, etc.??

If I find any other likely contenders I'll report back :-)

Cheers,
Tim.
On 26 March 2012 16:19, Paul Gordon <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Peeps, anyone got any opinions / recommendations for a good choice
of=20
> network CCTV DVR?
>

> I=92m continuing on my quest to rid myself of the agony of maintaining
a=
=20
> large Windows PC based HA setup, and the next item in my sights is
my=20
> current Geovision based CCTV server=85
>

> I=92ve been quite happy with Geovision on the whole, but
nonetheless,=20
> I=92m determined to move to something that isn=92t PC / Windows based,
an=
d=20
> for various reasons I want a dedicated, single purpose analogue=20
> network DVR. =96 I want to stick with analogue wired CCTV primarily=20
> because I=92ve already a fair few cameras installed, and replacing
them=20
> all with IP cameras would: a) cost as much, if not more than just=20
> getting a new DVR, and b) give me a whole load more work to do=20
> actually replacing all the cameras, changing the wiring etc. =96 which
I=
=20
> really can=92t be arsed to do=85  (Yes, I know IP is the way to go,
and a=
t=20
> my *next* house, I will=85)
>

> It looks like there are a veritable plethora of similar H.264 based=20
> units available, at a few different price points. Obviously I know=20
> that in general one gets what one pays for, however, having already=20
> done some side-by-side comparisons of a couple of the dearer units=20
> with a couple of the less expensive ones, the differentiating
features=20
> don=92t seem all that great, and are often in areas that aren=92t
crucial=
=20
> to me=85 - things like central monitoring station for multiple units
for=
=20
> example=85
>

> I=92m looking for an 8-channel unit, of which I have at least 4
channels=
=20
> already installed & ready to plug right in. None of my current
cams=20
> have audio or PTZ, although that may change in future, so support
for=20
> both is quite desirable=85 - although whether or not I need audio=20
> support for *all 8* channels is rather doubtful..
>

> I=92m not expecting specific recommendations for any particular
unit,=20
> but I
> *AM* interested in hearing if anyone has had any experiences,
either=20
> good or bad, of one manufacturer vs. another=85 there are plenty
out=20
> there, but the units themselves all look like they=92re OEM=92d
Chinese=20
> units, so identifying any vendors USP isn=92t proving especially
easy=85

> My wish-list feature set includes:
>
> Decent remote network monitoring =96 would be nice if not based on=20
> ActiveX and thus limited to IE, but since Geovision live view is,
that=20
> wouldn=92t be a huge downer=85 just so long as the browser UI is
=93nice=
=94 =99

> Decent smartphone monitoring =96 primarily iDevices, but android may
be=20
> a nice to have in the future
>
> Fairly good motion-activated recording, with flexible masking
options=20
> (all the units I=92ve seen so far aren=92t *quite* as flexible as=20
> Geovisions=92 image masking =96 GV=92s is free-form, whereas
everything I=
=92ve=20
> seen is based on a grid
> system) =96 I suppose with a fine enough grid to define the masked
areas=
=20
> this needn=92t be that much of a problem=85
>
> The best image & recording quality I can get =96 at a reasonable
price =
=96=20
> I would have to make a serious value judgement whether I think it
work=20
> paying
> =A3600 instead of =A3300 where the difference is just for a boost
in=20
> resolution or frame rate=85 - I would *like* to be able to record at
the=
=20