Re: CCTV DVR choices

Hi all,

I've use iRecord Velocity before - seems to work well. I believe its free =
now (there is a big brother version now that costs) - dont think its
camera=
limited. Needs a PC to run on and you can get it to control PTZ's and zone=
out areas to detect movement on.

See what you think.

http://irecord.initsys.co.uk/

Wayne.
(no relation to, just used the product previously.)

On 26 Mar 2012, at 17:00, Tim Hawes wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>=20
> I'm going through the same process just now, although I need cameras
as
> well. I quite like the "677" from www.henrys.co.uk - 8
channel, 1TB stora=
ge
> for =C2=A3300+vat. I haven't investigated the wish list features any
furt=
her
> than a "ticking the box" exercise so quite what the recorded
resolution, =
or
> ease of use of remote interface is, I don't yet know.
>=20
> From what I recall, the 677 model (like many others at Henrys) uses a
> 12-square grid for motion detection.
>=20
> Some of the resolution would be down the the spec of the cameras
though,
> i.e. no. of lines, etc.??
>=20
> If I find any other likely contenders I'll report back :-)
>=20
> Cheers,
> Tim.
> On 26 March 2012 16:19, Paul Gordon <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>=20
>> Peeps, anyone got any opinions / recommendations for a good choice
of
>> network CCTV DVR?
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> I=E2=80=9Am continuing on my quest to rid myself of the agony of
maintai=
ning a
>> large
>> Windows PC based HA setup, and the next item in my sights is my
current
>> Geovision based CCTV server=E2=88=91
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> I=E2=80=9Ave been quite happy with Geovision on the whole, but
nonethele=
ss, I=E2=80=9Am
>> determined to move to something that isn=E2=80=9At PC / Windows
based, a=
nd for
>> various reasons I want a dedicated, single purpose analogue
network DVR.=
=CB=86
>> want to stick with analogue wired CCTV primarily because
I=E2=80=9Ave al=
ready a
>> fair
>> few cameras installed, and replacing them all with IP cameras
would: a)
>> cost
>> as much, if not more than just getting a new DVR, and b) give me a
whole
>> load more work to do actually replacing all the cameras, changing
the
>> wiring
>> etc. =CB=86 which I really can=E2=80=9At be arsed to do=E2=88=91
(Yes, =
I know IP is the way to
>> go, and at my *next* house, I will=E2=88=91)
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> It looks like there are a veritable plethora of similar H.264
based unit=
>> available, at a few different price points. Obviously I know that
in
>> general
>> one gets what one pays for, however, having already done some
side-by-si=
de
>> comparisons of a couple of the dearer units with a couple of the
less
>> expensive ones, the differentiating features don=E2=80=9At seem
all that=
great, and
>> are often in areas that aren=E2=80=9At crucial to me=E2=88=91 -
things l=
ike central
>> monitoring station for multiple units for example=E2=88=91
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> I=E2=80=9Am looking for an 8-channel unit, of which I have at
least 4 ch=
annels
>> already installed & ready to plug right in. None of my current
cams have
>> audio or PTZ, although that may change in future, so support for
both is
>> quite desirable=E2=88=91 - although whether or not I need audio
support =
for *all 8*
>> channels is rather doubtful..
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> I=E2=80=9Am not expecting specific recommendations for any
particular un=
it, but I
>> *AM* interested in hearing if anyone has had any experiences,
either goo=
>> or
>> bad, of one manufacturer vs. another=E2=88=91 there are plenty out
there=
, but the
>> units themselves all look like they=E2=80=9Are OEM=E2=80=9Ad
Chinese uni=
ts, so identifying
>> any vendors USP isn=E2=80=9At proving especially easy=E2=88=91
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> My wish-list feature set includes:
>>=20
>> Decent remote network monitoring =CB=86 would be nice if not based
on Ac=
tiveX
>> and
>> thus limited to IE, but since Geovision live view is, that
wouldn=E2=80=
=9At be a
>> huge downer=E2=88=91 just so long as the browser UI is
=E2=80=9Enice=E2=
=80=B0 =CB=99
>>=20
>> Decent smartphone monitoring =CB=86 primarily iDevices, but
android may =
be a
>> nice
>> to have in the future
>>=20
>> Fairly good motion-activated recording, with flexible masking
options (a=
ll
>> the units I=E2=80=9Ave seen so far aren=E2=80=9At *quite* as
flexible as=
Geovisions=E2=80=9A image
>> masking =CB=86 GV=E2=80=9As is free-form, whereas everything
I=E2=80=9Av=
e seen is based on a
>> grid
>> system) =CB=86 I suppose with a fine enough grid to define the
masked ar=
eas this
>> needn=E2=80=9At be that much of a problem=E2=88=91
>>=20
>> The best image & recording quality I can get =CB=86 at a
reasonable pric=
e =CB=86 I
>> would have to make a serious value judgement whether I think it
work pay=
ing
>> =C2=A3600 instead of =C2=A3300 where the difference is just for a
boost =
in resolution
>> or frame rate=E2=88=91 - I would *like* to be able to record at
the high=
est quality
>> settings on all 8 channels, but I=E2=80=9Ad never need to do so
concurre=
ntly (I
>> envisage all channels set to motion record, so only 1 or 2
channels shou=
ld
>> ever be recording simultaneously).
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> I=E2=80=9Am really not fussed about fancy-pants features like
ANPR, face=
tracking,
>> object tracking, image analysis, and so on=E2=88=91 GV has many of
these=
, and I=E2=80=9Ave
>> never used them once=E2=88=91
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> What I really need is just a good, solid, reliable easy to
configure & u=
se
>> CCTV DVR that I can install then pretty much forget about, and not
regre=