Re: HA Object Model or Taxonomy?

FYI of everybody here who might be interested: For your convenience, I
have=
uploaded a 5-page VSCP overview (copied from the VSCP Wiki pages) to the f=
iles section of this forum. If you have any interest in the base
technologi=
es of HA I think you'll find it an interesting read worthy of your time.

Hi Ake,

Well, I don't know what happened. I posted quite a long reply to you on
thi=
s one a few days ago, but it's never appeared here!=20

The essence was this.

1) Thanks for letting us know about VSCP

2) As you suggest, it does seem to achieve very similar goals of
classifica=
tion to those we had been discussing here in this forum, but VSCP does it
b=
y categorising and classifying event types and sources rather than by the
f=
ormal object model we had been discussing. To some extent this is a
semanti=
c difference, but the VSCP model does seem to me to mandate a particular
HA=
network infrastructure, in which all nodes can "hear" each
other's events =
all the time.=20

3) Happy to see that you guys also believe that most so-called standards
bo=
dies concerned with HA are actually closed-off "rich men's"
clubs, run for =
by and for the benefit of large corporations - and that this is a major
bar=
rier to HA truly attaining take-off in the mass market.=20

4) Happy to see that one of the network types that VSCP has been
implemente=
d upon (as well as CAT5/6 wired and WiFi Ethernet and RS-232) is the CAN
bu=
s. I have long thought that CAN is an ideal network for HA because it's
che=
ap, can be daisy chained and if you use CAT5 cables, there are spare wires
=
in the cable to carry power to HA peripherals, saving the need for loads
of=
little local power supplies.=20

5) I need to build some minimal VSCP hardware and play around with things
t=
o get a feel for the approach, and to see if it meets the goals that
origin=
ally raised this topic to address. So, give me a few weeks to slot that in
=
around other things and I will come back and write a full reaction and
appr=
aisal of VSCP. My gut feeling is that - although it's a different way to
do=
what we had in mind - it should work just as well, but being a "hands
on" =
kind of person, I need to see it working and play around with it.=20

Many thanks
Alan T

P.S> I have kept a copy of this post in case Yahoo loses this one
too..... =
8-(

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, YAP <x112358@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> I'm the maintainer of the VSCP protocol (Very Simpe Control Protocol)
> and I claim we have such an object model. We are not finished  by far
>  but we have the model or I rather like to call it the abstraction.
> Everyone wanting to participate in this is welcome.
>=20
> What we have is rules for how
>=20
> - a button in a webpage, or on a pc, or on a physical board can switch
> something in a remote location and know it it was switched on or not.
> The actual button can actually be controlled by any protocol
> available.
>=20
> - A slider on a web page, on a pc on a physical board can dim a lamp
> in a remote location and know that it was dimmed. The button can
> actually be controlled by any protocol available.
>=20
> - A 1-wire sensor can be switched for a x sensor out at a remote
> location without any changes to the application software that draws a
> diagram from it's measurements, control something etc.
>=20
> - Every device can be configured in the same way. Every device can
> tell you how you configure it.  Every device know where it's manual
> is. Every device have a globally unique id.
>=20
> - Every device x can...  Every controlling application... In other
> words it's a lot.
>=20
> - Can be used on very low cost devices but also on high en devices.
> Very small footprint for protocol implemention.
>=20
> - You can build autonomous system like the first video  here
> http://www.vscp.org/docs.php or you
can control it with a pc, table,
> phone or whatever.
>=20
> - Firmware can be updated remotely.
>=20
> - Works on any platform. Windows/Linux and Mac with some minor work.
>=20
> - Is open, its free. No fees for usage. No restrictions on
> incorporating it into your own products.
>=20
> - You can use your old protocol centric apps like X10, xAP as before.
>=20
> etc etc
>=20
> You can find more information here (http://www.vscp.org/) and some
> products here (http://www.auto.grodansparadis.com/).
If you dare to
> take on the specification its here
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/m2m/files/VSCP%20Specification
>=20
> We do not claim to be THE protocol we just want to be THE abstraction.
> Just because we can support all other protocols if you can coup with a
> few roles.
>=20
> The work we now at last concentrate on is user interface. A lot of
> things will happen in this area in the near future. HTML5 widgets and
> some phone app. stuff. Funny thing.  We need more people taking part
> in this and who wants to be part of something that will change the
> world as we know it.
>=20
> Cheers
> /Ake
>=20
>=20
> --=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> Grodans Paradis AB - Brattbergav=E4gen 17, 82050 LOS, SWEDEN
> Phone: 46 (0)8 40011835   VAT no/orgnr: 556855-47777
> http://www.grodansparadis.com  http://shop.grodansparadis.com
> http://vscp.org  http://shop.grodansparadis.com
> Musique: http://www.soundcloud.com/hedman

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums