Re: HA Object Model or Taxonomy?

  • Subject: Re: HA Object Model or Taxonomy?
  • From: "ewenjc" <ejc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 16:58:14 -0000

I've not had time to read through this thread in detail but wonder if
state machines are relevant.  They allow for the definition of State and
Transitions etc.  For this sort of issue in Ruby on Rails I'd turn to https://github.com/pluginaweek/state_machine.
 It might not be useful directly but may have addressed some of the issues
you're working through.
-Ewen

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, alan.trevennor@... wrote:

> Following on the general discussion of a "getStatus"
method..

> I would suggest "GetState" is a better name for this method,
pretty much anything has a state. For example, a cushion always has a
state, but not really a status, since it doesn't have a formalised set of
statuses, whereas, an aircon unit definitely has a set of formalised
states).

> I see the main jobs of an object model as being to codify a subset of
objects in the real world (in this case objects of all kinds found in the
home) and to be able to indicate, in some way, their permanent or dynamic
relationships to one another (the ontology).

> Having a separate ontology is essential if dealing with a subject
areas such as published books and music CDs, where there is a dynamic
relationship between writers and artists and the things they create: For
example such an ontology needs to indicate that Brandon Flowers was a
member of The Killers, but is also a songwriter and solo artist and
producer.

> However, in the HA case, I think the relationships are more settled
and may be adequately conveyed in the object model structure. For example,
an illuminated house sign is always going to be under something like:

> \fittings\illumination\lighting\outdoor
>
> As to the level of detail.....
> in theory, an object model should be capable of accommodating any
possible level of detail. For example:

\furnishings\accessories\comfortItems\cushions\footCushions\fillings\hollowFibre\tufts

> would allow you to model each tuft of hollow fibre in the
aforementioned cushion, but of course it would be looney for the HA model
to go into such detail, but the possibility should exist. Who knows, one
day we may have intelligent hollow-fibre filling that can be commanded from
an HA network to reshape itself electrically. Ah! Brave new world!

> However I think that, to preserve sanity, at some point in any
practical object model you have to resort to allowing "freeform"
instance of a cushion having a "getState" method that returns a
collection of filling object whose state is just a set of self-describing
XML objects - i.e. objects which are not formally described in the model.
Further, I think that in the HA sphere - since it's unfeasible to model
every type and individual variant of - say - TVs. So, at some point TV
objects just have to return a freeform string of data that only some custom
piece of code can interpret.

> Anyway, I am probably pre-empting the kinds of discussions we need to
have about the scope and limits of an HA model that we might develop.

> Regards
> Alan T
>

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Gavin Sallery <gavin@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > Thanks - sorry about the error, Drupal 7's wiki support is at
best painful. I've limited input to filtered HTML now, and it seems to be
working a little more smoothly now - do please try again, and let me know
if you have any further problems (I have admin access to that site, so
should be able to sort out any issues).

> > "Check Status" is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure
how it could be implemented for all devices - it's trivial for an on/off
light (return a boolean indicating whether the light is on), but for other
vivants the status could incorporate lots of structured pieces of
information, i.e. an object. Thus whatever wanted to query every single
device would have to know about the status structure of every single one of
them. How were you imagining that this would be used?

> > I have expanded the illumination section, and am now working on
broadening the types of vivants.

> > http://hometechnologyintegration.org/node/119
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Gavin
> >

> > On 13 Mar 2012, at 00:41, Jim Franklin wrote:
> >
> > > Not a bad start Gavin.
> > >
> > > I did try to post a comment, but had a page error.
> > >
> > > One thing I would add for ALL devices is to have a
"Check Status" method
> > > that returns the current status of the device/object.
> > > Useful if perhaps more than one controller is present, or
following a power
> > > failure.

"open" standards on the
> > > Web, and needed a well-thought-through object model for some
home automation
> > > projects I've been working on. I spent quite some time
thinking through the
> > > best way of representing all the various devices and
concepts which would be
> > > needed in a home automation system, and captured quite a lot
of it in the
> > > code I am using for one of the projects (which is
Scala-based, and not quite
> > > ready for release). However, I never took the time to write
out what I'd
> > > discovered as a formalised specification.
> > >
> > > I am not presumptuous enough to think that the ontology I
developed is the
> > > ultimate home automation object model. What this discussion
has made me
> > > realise, though, is that there are probably many of us who
have thought
> > > about this sort of thing, and this really is one of those
areas where many
> > > heads are better than one. The best object model is going to
be one which is
> > > open, collaborative, and flexible. To this end, I have set
up a wiki section
> > > on the hometechnologyintegration.org site, for the express
purpose of
> > > sketching out what our idealised home automation model
should look like. I
> > > invite you all to come along and start fleshing it out; I
will be adding
> > > documentation for the concepts I can remember, but between
us it should
> > > become quite comprehensive!
> > >
> > > The wiki is here:
> > > http://hometechnologyintegration.org/wiki/home_automation_taxonomy
> > >
> > > Looking forward to hearing from you all!
> > >
> > > Gavin
> > >
> > > P.S. Wiki-style linking is not working at the moment (you
need the full URL
> > > in [[url  title]]), I will fix it tomorrow.

excellent suite of
> > > software (love the on-screen design of it), but although I
looked at the
> > > documentation, I couldn't really see what I was looking for.

different families and
> > > genres of devices and fittings, but what I am looking for is
really a
> > > document (or more likely a set of documents) that provides
an overall object
> > > map that can include all possible home automation entities
(or be capable of
> > > growing towards that).

"Home" at the top, under
> > > that it would have things like "Appliances"
"Fittings" "Services", "Spaces"
> > > and so on. Then (for example) under "Appliances"
it would things like
> > > "Heating", "Cooling",
"Ventilation", "Climate Control" and so on.

> > > object might be an "AirConditioners". The air
conditioner object would have
> > > methods and properties and so on. So, in an implementation
of this generic
> > > scheme, an HA control system would register a newly
discovered Aircon system
> > > as an instance of an object with a path of
"Home\Appliances\ClimateControl"

> > > internally within Harmony Server and its companions? But, I
can't see a
> > > published formalisation of it in the documentation. Perhaps
I am missing
> > > something or being stupid, but an explicit model doesn't
jump out at me?

MicroController based
> > > projects aimed at Home Automation, I am keen not to reinvent
any wheels. I
> > > want the things I create to be able to participate in a well
defined - open
> > > as possible - HA definition. Obviously, developing a full HA
object model is
> > > not a trivial task, but it must have been done many times.
Problem is, the
> > > results never seem to have been made available in a form
accessible to the
> > > hobbyist. As I said before, there seem to be these schemas
out there - but
> > > either they are jealously guarded commercial information
(which I can
> > > understand) or they are only available from standards bodies
at a price
> > > that's too high for hobbyists.

interesting, but again there
> > > is no mention of a formal object specification to go with it
and the
> > > documentation seems limited to installing it and dealing
with interfacing
> > > issues. It looks like an integration framework, which again
is great, but
> > > not quite what I am looking for. I have downloaded it to try
tomorrow, so
> > > perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised when I load it up 8-)
I'll let you
> > > know.

interest.

has a