From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Andy
Sent: 09 March 2012 07:47
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: TV Recommendations?

=20

=20=20

Thx for the replies.
But what I really want to know is which technology?
I'm going for 32" so will be either LCD or LED.
I think plasma is likely to be too expensive?
Regards
Andy

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
, Marcus
Warrington <marcus.warrington@...> wrote:

> Andy
>=20
> Using Pythagoras and a bit of maths, 14.5" vertical gives a
diagonal
screen size of ~24" (I'd guess it's a 26" tube but the bezel is
cropping it
down to 24"). Scaling that to a 16:9 ratio means that in order to
maintain
the same vertical height you'd require a screen size of 29" which
means
you'll be looking at a 32" (and hence a slight increase in vertical
height)
>=20
> As to TV recommendations, I'd say Plasma rather than LCD/LED but then
that's a whole new flame war :) I'd recommend checking out any TV on AV
Forums; at least it'll give you an idea of any known issues with the TV
before you buy; http://www.avforums.com/
>=20
> I'd also recommend checking COSTCO to see if they sell the TV you're
after. They aren't usually the cheapest, although they do sometimes have
special offers on. The good thing about COSTCO is they have a 90day refund
policy. So you can buy the TV and effectively trial it at home for 3months
then take it back for a full refund - no questions asked. You can even take
it back and then buy another one and get another 90 days. I'm not sure how
many times you can do that but I know of people who have done it at least 4
times. Another good thing with COSTCO is that all TV have a 5year
warranty... and it's a really good warranty as well. A lot of policies give
you a sliding percentage of the purchase price based on the age of the TV,
but COSTCO give you a full refund of the purchase price if it breaks within
5 years. Although you do have to pay =A330 a year for membership, you only
need to be a member to buy the TV and a member if you claim, you don't have
to be a member for the intervening years. So basically it's =A330 for a 5
y=
ear
warranty, and =A360 if you make a claim.
>=20
> Marcus
>=20
> From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
[mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx
<mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
] On Behal=
Of Andy
> Sent: 07 March 2012 11:42
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>=20
> Subject: [ukha_d] TV Recommendations?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Got to replace my TV.
> I've had a quick google.
> What's best LCD, LED with local dimming or edge lit LED TVs?
>=20
> And which makes/models?
>=20
> Current 4:3 ratio TV is 14.5" on the vertical.
> Not sure what that equates to on the diagonal for wide screen TVs?
>=20
> Thx
> Andy
>=20