RE: TV Recommendations?

Andy

Using Pythagoras and a bit of maths, 14.5" vertical gives a diagonal
screen=
size of ~24" (I'd guess it's a 26" tube but the bezel is cropping
it down =
to 24"). Scaling that to a 16:9 ratio means that in order to maintain
the s=
ame vertical height you'd require a screen size of 29" which means
you'll b=
e looking at a 32"  (and hence a slight increase in vertical height)

As to TV recommendations, I'd say Plasma rather than LCD/LED but then
that'=
s a whole new flame war :) I'd recommend checking out any TV on AV Forums;
=
at least it'll give you an idea of any known issues with the TV before you
=
buy; http://www.avforums.com/

I'd also recommend checking COSTCO to see if they sell the TV you're
after.=
They aren't usually the cheapest, although they do sometimes have special =
offers on. The good thing about COSTCO is they have a 90day refund policy.
=
So you can buy the TV and effectively trial it at home for 3months then
tak=
e it back for a full refund - no questions asked. You can even take it
back=
and then buy another one and get another 90 days. I'm not sure how many ti=
mes you can do that but I know of people who have done it at least 4
times.=
Another good thing with COSTCO is that all TV have a 5year warranty... and=
it's a really good warranty as well. A lot of policies give you a sliding =
percentage of the purchase price based on the age of the TV, but COSTCO
giv=
e you a full refund of the purchase price if it breaks within 5 years.
Alth=
ough you do have to pay =A330 a year for membership, you only need to be a
=
member to buy the TV and a member if you claim,  you don't have to be a
mem=
ber for the intervening years. So basically it's  =A330 for a 5 year
warran=
ty, and =A360 if you make a claim.

Marcus