Re: Re: Square one stuff

Hello Alan T,

Thank you for your message of 06/03/2012 15:21:
> It is possible to get a CAT5 splitter than will make a single CAT5
> connection available to two separate devices
Thank you for telling me about some other possibilities.
> FWIW, if I were you, I would lay in at least two CAT6 cables to every
> room as and when the opportunity arises.
The opportunity is here and now, and there will not be another. I have
placed an order today with contractors to start Tuesday or Wednesday
next week on a complete new electrical installation on my major
refurbishment project. It is to include a nominal 30 data cables so yes,
at least 2 to each relevant room and given that cable cost is just a
small part of the total cost, I have decided to go with Cat 6.

My last self build project (20 years ago - I am now in my 70s) included
a small PABX and I think I shall do the same again. It's now down to
£150 and I can use any of the data cables with it. However, your
remarks
re DECT phones strike a chord and my strategy does not preclude this
option.

My earlier project also had lots of very heavy (and expensive) speaker
cable, but control was limited to some switches at the source, so not
very elegant. I haven't had enough time to learn how I could get
convenience and flexible audio via Cat 6 and everyone says that Sonos
'just works'. Also, I don't need to sort it at this stage so a decision
on audio has been deferred.

I don't really understand how video might work either, especially given
the way that technologies are converging atm. so again I am hoping that
a shed-full of Cat 6 will come to my rescue when the ceilings are up,
the decoration is done and I actually have time to think about what to
do with the rats nest that will be Node Zero.

I plan to install Webro WF100 coax from appropriate locations back to a
distribution amplifier at N0 (Labgear HDU681S seems to cover all bases),
but I have a feeling in my water that WF100 might be overkill except
from the aerials - anybody any advice on this?

--
Best regards,
Bryan Smith

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums