Re: Square one stuff

Hi Bryan,

It is possible to get a CAT5 splitter than will make a single CAT5
connection available to two separate devices - I think Maplin and various
other retailers still do them. You can get that functionality as a splitter
cable, or as a wall plate with a single CAT5 cable termination, but two
outlets. That will only work for 100Mbits/sec though, and it may not work
for every single networked device - but works for most.

I'm assuming that you have discounted the idea of a wireless network. I
must admit I am not a fan of them, would always prefer a wired connection
if humanly possible. So, another (more messy and expensive) possibility is
to put one of those tiny four port powered hubs at the end of your cable
run, and then just plug your bedroom devices (oooo-er that sounds a bit
rude - sorry!) into that.

On your more general question: As has already been said, Gigabit Ethernet
uses all four pairs of wires, so if that's the way you're going, multiple
cables is your best/only answer.

However, if you can make do with 100Mbits/sec there is one pair of wires
spare (I think it's the brown and brown/white) which you can use for a
telephone line. At least one company - in the past - made a name for itself
by utilising that spare pair of wires for voice circuits, thus saving lots
of money and labour on wiring up large office complexes. Your savings on
just a single cable run though would be small. Going down that route does
preclude ever using the cable for Gigabit Ethernet (or the newer 10Gigabit
Ethernet standard, which I think can use CAT 5E and CAT6 cables?).

FWIW, if I were you, I would lay in at least two CAT6 cables to every room
as and when the opportunity arises.

Here in the UK, I would always, these days, do voice telephony around the
home using wireless phones (always DECT phones - Panasonic products for
preference. I've always remained unimpressed by BT's own DECT phones)

Hope some of this helps, at least a little
regards
Alan T

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Bryan Smith <bryan@...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please be kind to me - I'm new to this. :-[
>
> As I understand it, Cat 5e has four pairs, so could terminate to four
> RJ45 sockets. If I only need one or two, can I strip the cover off and
> route the other pairs to a nearby location? I can see that this might
> raise some issues like separation of the two uncovered pairs, but if
> not, it seems that every cable should emerge to a double wall box so
> that there is the potential to terminate all four pairs.
>
> An example might be if I wanted to make data available to a bedroom
both
> sides of a bed. If I could use one cable to route to both sides, I
would
> still have two sockets each side. Even if I used one pair each side
for
> voice (I */can/* do that can't I?) it would surely be adequate for
most
> people?
>
> Perhaps I am missing something, but it just seems a bit  . . err,
> wasteful to run a separate 8-core cable all the way from N0 just for
one
> socket. My major refurbishment project currently proposes 36 cables
and
> I am thinking that it's all getting a bit out of hand! Especially when
> start to think about the money pit that N0 is becoming.
> --
> Best regards,
> Bryan Smith

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums