Echobox ethernet over coax network extenders

  • Subject: Echobox ethernet over coax network extenders
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 11:17:04 +0100

I'm not sure if anyone has seen the Echobox units that are
manufactured by
Asheridge Communications, details at http://www.ethernetovercoax.co.uk/

The unit is based on the MOCA standard and uses a chipset from Entropic
which simply allows you to use your existing TV coax distribution cabling
as
the physical carrier for the ethernet network data in a similar way that
powerline equipment uses your mains cabling. The system can support upto 16
Echobox units, and has zero configuration - just plug in the units and they
link together in a form of mesh network, so do not need to be used as
transmit/receive pairs.

There is not much to the units - they have coax in & out, ethernet and
5vDC
power connections on the back, and three lamps on the front, and that's it.
They are completely transparent to TV/cable signals, however you cannot use
them on coax used for satellite signals.

I've had a couple to test as I regularly have installations to work with
where I'm trying to provide improved network/wifi distribution in buildings
that do not have a proper structured cabling infrastructure nor the
opportunity to run much (if any) new cable, but do have a reasonable amount
of coax around the building for TV distribution. The units I have been
testing have provided a solid "wired" network solution that has
allowed me
to successfully extend the network to areas that would otherwise have
required Cat5e/Cat6 cable to be retrofitted (and which was already ruled
out
as not possible by the home owner due to the disruption it would have
created).

I'd never use them in place of traditional wired ethernet, but for a simple
way to extend the network in an existing house (perhaps to add wired
ethernet for a new Smart TV/STB/games console) without the issues sometimes
associated with powerline extenders then these seem to be ideal.

Neil B.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums