Re: Bargain Alert: HP Cash Back Deal Means Microserver for under £90

  • Subject: Re: Bargain Alert: HP Cash Back Deal Means Microserver for under £90
  • From: "GREGORY" <gregjssmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:17:56 -0000

Thanks Simon, would be interested in seeing your component list once
finished building your new server.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Simon Haslam <simon_haslam@...> wrote:
> Greg
> I think I'd agree with you - see one of the comments on Amazon about
one buying from "Systo" and not being able to get the cashback.
Amazon have=
it on at =A3239 and Ebuyer at =A3268 (though I've had a grey import from t=
hem in the past - a digital camera with all menus by default in Chinese!).
I suspect the UK-specific model has the =A3100 cashback (or a proportion
it) built in to the wholesale price. However =A3139 inc VAT is still prett=
y cheap (and unimaginable 5-10 years ago).
> If you're wanting two you might consider building your own. I built a
ver for the first time recently and, once I'd worked out the correct parts
(which did take some time as I had very particular requirements), found it
surprisingly easy. At the moment I'm waiting for the lower end Intel Ivy
idge chips (e.g. i3 3225T) to come out later this year for my replacement
itchen PC and hope to build a reasonably powerful system that runs at
d 25-35W). If you just want a file server though it's very hard to beat
dedicated ARM based devices for energy efficiency (my single disk LinkStat=
ion LS-XHL runs at 9W).
> HTH, Simon

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums