Re: GU10 Energy efficient replacements

  • Subject: Re: GU10 Energy efficient replacements
  • From: "Kevin" <kw1816@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:34:01 -0000

Thanks for all the responses - I bought a selection of both dimmable
and non dimming SMD's to try out. Will report back on how I find them. I've
got over 50 GU10's so it may take a while to replace them all :-0

Cheers
Kevin W.

<kw1816@...>
> wrote:
>
> >Having nearly had a fit at the size of our leccy bill again I'm
looking for energy efficient replacements for our 50W GU10 halogen lights -
of which we have a lot :-(

> >Does anyone have any personal recommendations? I'm finding the
choice a bit overwhelming so I'd like to try out a couple of different
types (e.g. LED or CFL)to see which work for us. Dimming would be nice but
it's not required for most of our rooms. They're for recessed fittings so
must be the same physical size as a normal GU10.

> I have a couple of the 4W dimmable ones from www.simplyled.co.uk (the
> one with 20 surface mount LEDs - I haven't linked directly to the item
> because apparently they are getting a new range in this week) that I'm
> very happy with - although I can't report on how they work with a
> dimmer as I don't have one. Very good service from that web site as
> well - bulbs turn up the next day, very well packed, by recorded
> delivery.
>
> They seem very similar to the (non-dimmable) ones sold by
> www.dealtastic.co.uk and www.ledhut.co.uk that are quite a bit cheaper
> - I also have a couple of these.
>
> One thing to watch out for is that none of the LED bulbs advertised as
> 50W equivalent actually give out as much light as a 50W halogen. There
> are a lot of different figures quoted (and probably many different
> ways to measure it) but I believe a 50W halogen GU10 is normally about
> 400-500 lumens. Both types I've mentioned above claim to be 320 lumens
> which seems about right to me - I don't think they are quite as bright
> as the halogens they replaced. Some sellers claim 210 lumens is
> equivalent to 50W!
>
> I was surprised to see someone else has said LEDs have a much narrower
> beam (although they were talking about the 3x1W variety which may
> explain it) because the SMD variety have a much wider beam angle (they
> claim 120 degrees, compared to 35 degrees for a halogen). Whilst that
> makes a difference to the perceived brightness, it also makes a big
> difference to how and where you would use them - the bulbs I have are
> fine for lighting a room, but wouldn't be ideal if you wanted a
> spotlight focussed on a small area.
>
> David

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums