RE: Re: OT: Help Required, don't know where else to look!!

"Specifically, 50% of an engineering department (50 folks) spent
the mornin=
looking around for spare keyboards and hammering keys because some bright
spark thought the cleaners should blast the keyboards clean :-("

...and therein lies the problem! The issue is not with the use of
compresse=
air to clean a device per se but inappropriate use of a tool (in this case
canned air) by inappropriately skilled staff (generally commercial cleaners
tend to be nightworkers on minimum wage) who are up against a time schedule
determined by some boss who also has no idea what they've been asked to do
but has been given a directive by someone further up the managerial tree
wh=
thought it would be a good idea.

Whilst I don't doubt the keyboard cleaning example given, the question from
Simon was about why not to use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust from what
would be a pretty simple PCB - the use of the phrase "vacuum
cleaner" would
imply to me the use of a domestic vacuum cleaner of the Dyson / Meile type
which aren't exactly precision tools and I didn't realise that it would be
assumed that the user would be expected to modify their vacuum cleaner into
something that resembles an Apollo 13-style "square scrubber in round
hole"
type arrangement. However I guess given the UKHA_D mantra of "Let's
not use
the right tool for the job because it's too expensive so let's hack
something up that almost does it then grumble that it doesn't work right
instead" I shouldn't be surprised. After all - if the cleaners had
been tol=
to turn their "Henry's" on the keyboards instead of the canned
air then the
engineering department used in your original example may have spent more of
their day hunting for and refitting keycaps and straightening ripped apart
key mechanisms. :-D

In my earlier reply I did specifically suggest that an extension straw can
be used to precisely target areas for cleaning with compressed air - as
extension tubes are typically provided with canned gas and I haven't come
across an airline airgun yet that has the precision or facility to insert a
flexible straw to precisely direct flow and also that for most people their
access to compressed air it down to canned gas rather than having a
compressor handy (yes, for the record I do have a 2hp 50 litre compressor
with both short and long reach airguns - neither of which I would consider
using on any sensitive electronics in the same way as I have a number of
hammers in my toolkit and wouldn't consider using the lumphammer for every
task) then I - obviously mistakenly - assumed that it wasn't essential to
specify that I was talking about canned gas given that that is how probably
at least 90% of people here would have access to.

I shall remember this in the future and try to be much more precise with my
replies and given the "cleaners and keyboards" example I shall
pop
downstairs and tell my landlady that I no longer want her to remap the ECU
in my TVR...

Happy New Year to everyone...

Phil

"simon"