From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Bryan Smith
Sent: 16 February 2012 17:48
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Square one stuff

=20

=20=20

Hi all,

Please be kind to me - I'm new to this. :-[

As I understand it, Cat 5e has four pairs, so could terminate to four=20
RJ45 sockets. If I only need one or two, can I strip the cover off and=20
route the other pairs to a nearby location? I can see that this might=20
raise some issues like separation of the two uncovered pairs, but if=20
not, it seems that every cable should emerge to a double wall box so=20
that there is the potential to terminate all four pairs.

An example might be if I wanted to make data available to a bedroom both=20
sides of a bed. If I could use one cable to route to both sides, I would=20
still have two sockets each side. Even if I used one pair each side for=20
voice (I */can/* do that can't I?) it would surely be adequate for most=20
people?

Perhaps I am missing something, but it just seems a bit . . err,=20
wasteful to run a separate 8-core cable all the way from N0 just for one=20
socket. My major refurbishment project currently proposes 36 cables and=20
I am thinking that it's all getting a bit out of hand! Especially when I=20
start to think about the money pit that N0 is becoming.
--=20
Best regards,
Bryan Smith

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums