From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
marcrfuller
Sent: 14 February 2012 17:17
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: ADSL Over CAT5

Hey Jamie,

> It works very well and is very solid. However we do have a good signal
the exchange at our location - we typically get 5MB tested connection
speed,
so that may well be helping.

I think this can be the only explanation for mine not working.. our signal
is terrible :( The strange thing is, you would think a 15-20m run of good
quality CAT5 would not make a difference.

Very frustrating, but glad yours is working!

Cheers

Marc

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
, Jamie
Whitehorn <jamie@...> wrote:

> That should work - I'm doing almost exactly the same thing with
spookily
enough almost exactly the same equipment. There is one difference and
that's
the faceplate/filter locations.

> Our BT line comes out in the office, with a standard faceplate with a
BT
socket on it and an RJ14 socket for the ADSL line. The filter is built-in
the faceplate (NTE-2000 I think).

> From there I run an RJ14-RJ14 cable to a spare CAT5 faceplate (wired
568-B) in the wall next to it. That runs up to a patch-panel in Node0 in
the
loft. From the patch panel I used another RJ14-RJ14 cable to run into the
Draytek 2820n. The cable distance is about 15m.

> It works very well and is very solid. However we do have a good sigal
the exchange at our location - we typically get 5MB tested connection
speed,
so that may well be helping.

> Maybe you could filter the signal where it enters your house rather
than
at the router?

> HTH, Jamie
>

> On 12 Feb 2012, at 16:46, marcrfuller wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Anyone a telephone/adsl expert here? If so, would appreciate some
help.

> > I have two ADSL lines into my house. One for my work, one for
personal.
A BT ADSL line goes into a Vigor 2820n and a TalkTalk ADSL line goes into a
TalkTalk router. This is then plugged into WAN2 of the Draytek. We are
right
in the sticks so both lines are at their maximum distance (both sync at
about 1mb down).

> > Both come into my downstairs dining room. This is not really a
good
place for them to come in and swmbo wants them moved. So, I bought two
cables that are BT Plug to RJ45. I've plugged them into each BT socket and
into adjacent CAT5 sockets. The CAT5 ports wired to 568-B.

> > At Node0 I have line adapters going into microfilters and then
into the
routers. The problem is.. the vigor is not seeing the bt line, but the
talktalk router is working fine on the talktalk adsl.

> > I have tried swapping CAT5 ports, microfilters, adapters and
cables with
no luck. It just looks like the 15-20meters from downstairs to upstairs is
stretch too far for the BT line.

> > So, anyone know any likely causes of trouble that would cause the
ADSL
signal to be lost in such a short distance?

> > Any help appreciated.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums