RE: Re: Anyone else fallen in love with the Nest thermostat.

Exactly right, it is a big step forward over here.  Based on what I've
seen, the vast majority of houses have a single stat where you set the temp
 - not programmable, just a single temp.  Newer houses, or people that have
bothered to upgrade their stats, might be able to have daily programs, or
if they're really fancy, separate programs for the weekend as well.  The
level of energy wastage, and ambivalence to it, is a really eye-opener to
someone that spent most of their life in the UK, and was more or less
conditioned to not waster energy.  Obviously, I'm in Texas and not Cali,
where they're a bit more progressive, but still.  Having built my own house
in the UK, and watched mine being built in Texas, most self-builders would
faint at what's allowed over here, compared to the UK.

If all Nest achieves is to encourage more people to use energy a little
wiser (and to do that, all they have to do is install it, it'll take care
of the rest), then it's a Good Thing.  The units are pricy, at $250 a pop,
but my leccy bill in the summer is $600 per month, and that is typically at
least 40% cheaper than everyone else I compare with in the office, so most
people will get payback within a few months.  Personally, all I get from it
is something pretty on the wall, and immunity from my flaky z-wave/Homeseer
set up.

Pete