RE: Powerline Ethernet

Sorry guys but I can't recommend Ethernet Over Powerline devices -
they
cause me *SO* much grief at work that I wish I could ban the bloody things.

They don't work properly across circuit breakers without normally taking
one
hell of a performance hit.

They are susceptible to any source of mains noise - laptop transformers are
notoriously bad for generating mains noise and can kill the throughput on
those units but I've had hairdryers, PCs, TVs all hitting throughput.

I was logged into a customers network a couple of weeks ago who was using
some NetGear units that he insisted did 500Mbits/sec - when I actually did
few throughput tests (copying files around from one place to another on his
network) he was getting 118kbytes/sec on average.

You may fine they work for you in which case I'm happy for you - but I
wouldn't rely on them to do anything more than give you another point of
failure...

...class them with wireless networking - a good idea but fundamentally
flawed.

Phil