Re: GU10 Energy efficient replacements

  • Subject: Re: GU10 Energy efficient replacements
  • From: "Tim" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 22:32:33 -0000

Thanks Howard, dont feel too unhappy with my purchase now.  Just got a
quot=
e from a tame reliable sparks to put 9 or 12 lamps into the kitchen
ceiling=
- there are 6 in there at present and its OK, but not ideal.  May go for 1=
2 and move to dimmable ones - I kind of like the very white ones I have -
y=
ou wouldn't want them in a living area, but it's OK in the kitchen.
Strang=
ely SWMBO likes them and wants to bin all the incandescent bulbs in the
pla=
ce as being too orange.
=20=20=20=20
Cheers

Tim.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Howard" <howardsixtynine@...>
wrote:

> Tim
>=20
> I've just bought a couple of the 9W warm white ones from the same site
af=
ter reading your post. I think they're great - the best LED bulbs I've
trie=
d yet. The warm white ones are very close in colour to halogen, and also
si=
milar brightness and beam angle (45deg). They are not 9W though! There is
n=
o way that heatsink will dissipate 9W without the LEDs overheating. I
measu=
red one at 5W, which seems reasonable.
>=20
> I've bought a selection of LED GU10s, all warm white with the idea
being =
to replicate halogen as close as possible. The other 3 and 4 chip LEDs
I've=
tried (Brightlightz 4W and CPC 3W) were too white and too narrow. The mult=
i SMD chip ones (Brightlightz 6W and CPC) were too wide angle for my use
(m=
aking them too dim).
>=20
> Howard
>=20
>=20
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Tim" <tim@> wrote:
> >
> > I too have just taken the plunge - I went for 9 Watt Cree LEDs (3
x 3W)=
from thewarmlightcompany on Ebay.  I went for the cool white which is a bi=
t clinical, but looks OK in the kitchen. =A39 each delivered.  They were
pr=
etty good and told me I could return them if they weren't bright enough or
=
didn't have a high enough WAF.=20=20
> >=20
> > They are probably as bright as the GU10s they replaced (or very
nearly =
so) and have the same sort of beam angle but they are very much whiter.
I'm=
now wondering of the high count multi-led option would have been worth exp=
loring as brighter.  Bugger.  Might just replace the ceiling lights with
on=
es with more lampholders and buy more bulbs.
> >=20
> > Cheers
> >=20
> > Tim.