RJ45 Crimp Tool Bulk Buy [was: RJ45 crim tool recommendations ...]

  • Subject: RJ45 Crimp Tool Bulk Buy [was: RJ45 crim tool recommendations ...]
  • From: Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 08:01:42 +0000

Firstly my apologies for the delay in following up with you all, work
has
been manic for the last couple of days.

The proposal is to share the cost of some AMP RJ45 connector crimp tools,
like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x10pcs-AMP-Modular-Plug-Hand-RJ45-Tool-Crimper-2-=
231652-0-Cat-5-Cat5e-/251034199930?pt=3DUS_Cabling_Tools&hash=3Ditem3a72cde=
77a

A couple of people have used this type of tool before and can vouch for its
quality, ease of use & comfort. RS currently have the same AMP tool
selling
for =A3137+vat EACH (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-crimpers/2503539/)
and they're streets ahead of the cheaper lever-action tools.

The general idea is that I will order the bulk pack with the items
delivered to me. I will split and send out to each participant. The
purchase cost is shared between the participants then postage added on top.
You're welcome to collect in person to save on postage costs if you wish -
I live near Hindhead on the Surrey/Hampshire border (postcode GU35 will get
you close). I've guessed the UK postage cost to be around =A34, so the
fina=
item price (ex any further import duty, etc.) will be =A315-16.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I will operate it on an "at
cost" / "not
for profit" basis and it would be run personally by me, not through a
company so no VAT.

The ebay seller offers free shipping however there's always the risk of
getting hit with import duty. If we are charged it we'll each be liable for
1/10th of the total in addition to the =A315-16 estimated above.

We have more than 10 people currently interested - the first 10 people in
my inbox are as below:
Me
Jon S
Phil Harris
Rob Iles
Tracey Gardner
Paul Smith
Tim Fletcher
Richard Challis
Neil Fuller
Alan Middleton

Additionally, the following are also interested. I'm happy to run a second
one, provided there are enough people. I will post this email to both the
UK_Selfbuild list and Automated Home forums to see if there is any further
interest
Stuart Poulton
Marcus Warrington

The seller has 2 packs of 10 tools, so we can take another 8 only.

If you are NOT on the lists above but are interested in one of these tools
please let me know ASAP.
If you ARE on the list I will make a better estimate of the postage costs
and send an off-list email to you all (probably tonight).

Cheers,
Tim.

On 17 December 2012 11:00, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> In a previous job I had the pleasure of using an AMP one like this:
>
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x10pcs-AMP-Modular-Plug-Hand-RJ45-Tool-Crimper-=
2-231652-0-Cat-5-Cat5e-/251034199930?pt=3DUS_Cabling_Tools&hash=3Ditem3a72c=
de77a

> Was priced in RS at ~=A3100 each, whereas this auction is for 10 of
them!
> The one I had was very good, easy to use, well made and didn't hurt
your
> hand. From memory it had a ratchet mechanism and alternative die sets
> were/are available so as well as RJ45 it could do RJ11. Not sure about
BT
> plugs though.
>
> My own one is like this:
>
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Newlink-RJ45-Modular-Plug-Crimper-Cut-and-Strip=
-Cable-Tool-/380392037925?pt=3DUK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=
=3Ditem589121de25

> Low cost and does the job but its not a patch on the AMP one. I find
it o=
> for small numbers of plugs though.
>
> I'll probably regret asking this, but is anyone interested in a bulk
buy =
/
> splitting a pack of 10 of the AMP ones?
>
> HTH,