Re: Sonos, Bose or Philips!

  • Subject: Re: Sonos, Bose or Philips!
  • From: "peterno51" <ukha_d@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:48:44 -0000

Me again...

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Wayne Harrison <Wayne@...> wrote:

>just that a dumb remote - ie its not 'it' that is streaming to the
speakers. The same with >itunes, what I didn't want is someone to be
using itunes to stream to one room and then >have me (or something else
at some point) change the channel so to speak and wipe out >what was
being played. Kinda defeats the object.

I hadn't tried this, but had a play and can report that whilst playing
Kylie in the kitchen and bedroom from itunes on the PC I then tried a dash
of ACDC heat-seeker from my iphone to the bedroom speakers. The volume
dipped momentarily perhaps a second maybe two, on the bedroom speakers and
then carried on, i.e. not allowing the interruption from the iPhone. I
don't know if there is an order of precedence for what might be able to
trump a playing device.

> I had also been down the road previously of using Airport Express as
an end point to some >simple amp (as per Peters example) nice and simple
set up. Again the issue of the source of >the music still has to be
operational (ipod, iphone etc). I don't think, in out household
>anyways, that it would work as someone will more than likely take over
an iphone ir ipad >and go play a game or something which would wipe out
the playlist.

I have a wish list too, ideally and instance of itunes running for each
person in the house to do with as they will.  I would like the music app on
the idevices to connect to our NAS, this would help along with being able
to select multiple airplay devices as output.

I doubt the NAS connection will ever be available due to some daft music
licensing cobblers

hohum.

Right that is quite enough thread hijacking from me.

Peter.

p.s. the BBC iplayer radio app has just been updated with a great big in
app airplay button. Nice.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums