Re: Sonos, Bose or Philips!

Thanks all for you suggestions on this one! Much Appreciated!!

I managed to get the wife down to our local John Lewis store and have a
listen. I think she was suitably impressed.

I must admit - they also had the Bose Airplay system in as well which also
sounds pretty good (and is what started this whole thing off!). The
swinging thing with this though is being able to stream multiple sources
(even from the same library) to multiple rooms (well not from the outset
but in the future for sure!) and without the use of a 'thing' in the
middle. If I'm understanding all this correctly - once the Sonos is set
playing something then the remote is just that a dumb remote - ie its not
'it' that is streaming to the speakers. The same with itunes, what I didn't
want is someone to be using itunes to stream to one room and then have me
(or something else at some point) change the channel so to speak and wipe
out what was being played. Kinda defeats the object.

I had also been down the road previously of using Airport Express as an end
point to some simple amp (as per Peters example) nice and simple set up.
Again the issue of the source of the music still has to be operational
(ipod, iphone etc). I don't think, in out household anyways, that it would
work as someone will more than likely take over an iphone ir ipad and go
play a game or something which would wipe out the playlist.

My current thought is a Play 5 and at some point an airport express to tie
the two together. Also maybe a Connect to patch into my hifi in the lounge
- that would give me another line in if needed too!
(I did ask the Sonos chap if there would be any plans to group these things
as a 5.1 set up - nothing on the cards yet!! - Two play 5's as main left
and right with 3 play 3's as centre and left right surround + the Sub. All
you need is a decoder! (and a win on the Lottery!!!!))

I'll have a dig around for the API's you mention Paul - again - future
thing - all we need now is some sort of person id tracking between rooms
and you music can follow you around!

Thanks all!
Wayne.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums