Re: Temperature Monitoring

  • Subject: Re: Temperature Monitoring
  • From: "leewild80" <muddyboots@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:30:28 -0000

Mark

I've done pretty much the same thing with my Pi.

My 1-wire sensors are just lashed together at the moment to test it all
works, but it does so very nicely.

Example:
http://ukselfbuild.com/log_w.png
http://ukselfbuild.com/log_d.png

Like the article you posted, I bought some 1-wire temperature sensor
modules from Sheepwalk Electronics.
I have a LinkUSB interface, connected by Cat5 to the temp sensors.

Longer term intention was to monitor temps of rooms, various UFH zone /
radiator flow & returns, boiler flow & return, and other strategic
points on my thermal store & pipework. Mainly to gain a real
understanding of how everything works.
I also have a 6-way 1-wire hub that I intend to use, to be able to run
several 1-wire networks in different parts of the house.

Even with just two modules (one just sat on a desk, the other hanging over
a banister!) it's interesting what you can glean from the results - such as
the effects of leaving a door open into the bedroom (I can see the change
in temps both in the bedroom and the landing outside), the effects of
sunlight at different times of day, effects of guests opening the windows
in the room, etc etc.

Lee

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark Gardner" <mark@...> wrote:

> Many thanks for all the ideas including offline offers of TOM10
boards.

> Derek's HAH and Airwick solution looks very cool.
>
> I've decided for now to go with a RPi based solution. I bought a Pi to
> tryout RaspBMC, but as Pi does not support MPEG2 codecs right now it's
> bit of a non starter for me. So instead, I am going to try this:
>
> http://neilbaldwin.net/blog/weather/raspberry-pi-data-logger/
>
> Cheers
> Mark

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums