Re: 2012 and still no perfect UK HA light switch solution?

  • Subject: Re: 2012 and still no perfect UK HA light switch solution?
  • From: "marcrfuller" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 07:54:57 -0000

For me that reason would be confirmation.

Imagine Z-Wave was not two way. Send an ON command to a light. Did that
metal pan you moved at lunchtime now blocked that Z-Wave signal, is the
light actually on?

It you have two way comms and the unit sends back a confirmation, you know
it is (Well, unless the bulb has blown :D)

For me two way comms is not about 'seeing the state of the system' at any
one point. It's about confirmation that the action has been carried out. An
unreliable system can never be trusted to do it's job, which makes it all
kinda pointless.

Cheers

Marc

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Stuart Billinghurst" <stuart@...>
wrote:

> But why is a current state of every light needed in an install from a
> function point of view not aesthetic that's a different thing
entirely,
> because I toyed with this concept for long time as I started to design
of my
> own systems, and came to the conclusion that the only time I needed to
> really know the status was if I wanted to act upon it, so I only need
> know a light is on, if for instance I wish to turn it off, but if I
don't
> know it's status and then send an off, I know it's off even if it was
off
> before (I hope this makes sense) in which case two way is just an
aesthetic
> consideration, unless I have missed a functional need somewhere?
>

> Stuart.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums