Re: HMDI over Cat5e solution wanted

The plus points of HDbaseT are that it supports 100mb network, rs232,
ir as=
well as high bit rate HD. It also has been designed to work with cat5 and =
cope with patch panels.  The down side is that it's expensive when
compared=
to cheaper balun based solutions.

My advice would be that if you think your setup is 'demanding', either
thro=
ugh cabling or user needs then you deffo won't be disappointed with
HDbaseT=
.  If your setup is simple or the cost is the major concern then try one
of=
the cheaper baluns as they may do the job at a considerable cost saving.

Brian

On 9 Aug 2012, at 13:55, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Many thanks Brian - it's always good to get real life feedback rather
tha=
> relying on mfr. claims and anonymous reviews.
>=20
> If it's the part number Paul found then it looks very good. A bit more
th=
an
> I wanted to spend, but every other box ticked :-)
>=20
> Thanks again,
> Tim.
>=20
> On 8 August 2012 20:24, Brian Smith <briview@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>=20
>> Hi Tim
>>=20
>> I'm no expert so can only share personal experiences.  I have a
couple o=
>> unbranded units from CPC, one powered and one passive (which were
=C2=A3=
40 and
>> =C2=A320 respectively from memory) and they were fine for quite a
while.=
They
>> are both 2 cable units and were run from what was effectively long
patch
>> leads under the floor ie no breaks for patch panels or wall
plates.
>>=20
>> Then after a house rewire, patch panels and new sources (a dune
media
>> player that runs at up to 1080p 60hz and 12 bit colour) I found I
could =
no
>> longer run at max resolutions. The symptom was either no picture
or sing=
le
>> green pixels dotted over the screen.  All was fine if I dropped
'down' t=
>> 25hz for example.
>>=20
>> Having located all my kit in node 0 and a possibly misguided view
that I
>> needed 60hz, failure was not an option so my next port of call was
some
>> more expensive CYP units from richer sounds (circa =C2=A3100 I
think) bu=
t I got
>> the same result.
>>=20
>> The situation was now getting a touch embarrassing with 'er
indoors so a=
>> a last roll of the dice I threw yet more money at it and bought
some
>> 'cheap' HDbaseT units (from CPC, Scan had some cheaper ones but
they wer=
>> permanently on back order).  I'm pleased to say they just work.
Only
>> powered at the sender end so no need for bulky wall adaptor behind
the t=
>> and they work at every res I have put their way.
>>=20
>> So as is my mantra in life I started cheap but got there in the
end. I
>> must also point out that I have never used the built in or
functionality=
as
>> I have a separate xantech system.
>>=20
>> I think the issue with these things is that no two installs are
the same
>> so what might work for one, isn't guaranteed to work for another.
I thin=
>> my advice, of you have the time and inclination, is to start cheap
but b=
wrote:
>>=20
>>> A bit of an old chestnut but I'm looking for a HMDI over Cat5
solution.
>> The
>>> HDBaseT & power over IP stuff looks nice, but I only need
a single
>>> point-to-point link at present, so they seem a little
over-spec'd for