Arduino help required!

I need some help with an arduino if there's anyone here who is an
expert
please.  My home easy controller uses an arduino to automatically
operate the buttons in a HE200 remote control.  Its been running fine
for the last three months to the point where SWMBO has stopped
complaining about it, hooray.

Last week it stopped switching things on, so I've been trying to find
out why.  The remote is hard wired to a CAT5 fly lead, and the arduino
uses pin D9 to cycle through the HE device numbers; pin D10 to press the
'on' button, and pin D13 for the 'off'. The software hasn't been changed
at all, and as far as I can tell the code is working fine - it sends the
'on' and 'off' commands correctly, but the remote fails to respond to
'on' - I know the arduino sends the 'on' command as it sets a flag when
it does so and won't send the 'off' command unless the flag has been set

The remote control uses opto isolators to trigger the buttons, so I
changed the one that does 'on', no change. Switched the on and off
connections over, it now turns thing on but not off, so this points at
the arduino or the cable.  Changed the arduino to use pin D14 instead of
D10, no change.  Checked the resistance of all three cables from the
processor to the remote, all pretty much the same.

I'm stumped.  The obvious culprit is the cable, but I can't find a fault
with that, so I'm beginning to think that something in the processor has
gone belly-up. Does anyone have any suggestions please?  SWMBO is
starting to clamber out of her pram again

Thanks
Martin

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums