Controls for Villavent ventilation system

  • Subject: Controls for Villavent ventilation system
  • From: "Martin Howell" <martin.howell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 20:11:32 +0100

I'd like to automate my Villavent whole house vent system to make it
react automatically to external air temperature.  Normally it runs all
the time, and if it gets cold outside it sucks in cold air and increases
the requirement for heating, not good in these days of high fuel prices.
I'd like to make it shut down when the temperature drops below a pre-set
point and re-start when it rises again.  I have an Arduino set up to
monitor various house events, including inside and outside temperatures,
and I could easily rig this up to drop and restore the power to the vent
unit.

The problem is that when the unit re-starts it always goes into the
middle of the three speeds, and I want it to start in the lowest one.
The speed is switched by a wall mounted panel, but the panel is digital
and I don't know how to simulate the pressing of its buttons other than
by levering it open and electronically bodging the push buttons.  I've
only got one panel, and they are expensive, so I'd rather not do this.

I've tried emailing Villavent, but they are Scandawegian and don't
respond.  Does anyone either a) know how to make the panel default to
the lowest speed; b) have any details of the logic that drives the
panel, or c) any suggestions of how to read what the panel does and
replicate it?

Thanks

Martin

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums