Re: Re: CBus + CFLs

It's only for the wireless switches,  so you're fine :-)

C-Bus wireless switches need to draw power from the wiring in
order to work , as they don't require a neutral .   As such they draw a
small amount of current through each light/load even when they're
swiched off.  Although fine with filament lamps this can be impossible
with some CFL's or can cause them to flicker when off, sometimes even
damaging them.   The capacitor avoids this.    Also the dual channel
relays require both channels have a load connected .  A capacitor can
simulate this load if only one channel is being used. I believe the
dimmers only need one load connected.    Lastly, and really annoying as
you don't know which on a dual channel,  if a lamp blows then the switch
loses it's power source and won't control anything,  the capacitor
solves this too.

Running dimmable CFL's/LED's off C-Bus dimmers is a bit hit and miss
it seems, works for some and not for others (brands/users).  Dimmable
CFL's are particularly tetchy, would be interested in anyone's good
experiences on C-Bus dimmers... ?

For low voltage LED  electronic transformers prefer trailing edge
dimmers, the universal dimmers are much better and less buzz too.
There is also a tiny bleed current from dimmer channels when off that
can cause early failure of some bulbs.  I suppose a capacitor might help
here .  Clipsal have even suggested feeding a dimmer output via a relay
so that when off the load is totally isolated.

Lots of threads re this on the C-Bus forum.
eg http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7146

On 24/11/2011 16:15, GREGORY wrote:
> Kevin/Alan,
>
> Can you please provide some more info on this capacitor issue - I have
a circuit with 4 x cfl downlighters in and I didn't realise anything extra
needed to be added to the circuit - this in a wired C-Bus install if it
makes any difference.

> As an aside, I have several lamp points that are wired to dimmer
channels, but finding cheap dimmable cfl's is proving to be difficult -
what are my options for using a single cfl in the lamps - can anything be
done or so I have to splash the cash and buy some dimmable LED bulbs, and
would there be anough power draw with the LED's for it to operate correctly
?

> Cheers,
> Greg
>

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins<yahoogroupskh@...>  wrote:
>> Alan - have you already sourced your wireless Saturn relays
/dimmers ?
>> If not I might be able to do you a good deal from a bulk buy a
while
>> back  - drop me an email offlist...  Happy to consider swapsies
for any
>> wired as well as I have some places already with cable and no
switches yet.

>> The capacitors need to be 'X2' and I sourced some off eBay.  I
think
>> mine were 400V rated and are physically quite large - they don't
get hot
>> but you need to ensure they are well insulated in the way you
attach
>> them.   They are needed on relays as both channels require power
>> trickle, and CFL's can flicker when off.   They're good even for
>> incandescents too as otherwise your switch stops working when a
bulb
>> blows...

>> On 24/11/2011 13:51, Alan Middleton wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm planning to install some Saturn Wireless CBus Relays.
These will control standard pendant light fittings which will have CFL
lamps installed.

>>> The instructions say "A mains rated 1 uF capacitor must
be wired in parallel with a CF lamp".

>>> Does anyone have a spec sheet for an appropriate capacitor, a
supplier and advise on where to place this; since I presume it gets hot
should it be in the ceiling void?

>>> Kind Regards
>>>

>>> Alan
>>>

>>> **
>>> A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other
invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and
tequila.