Re: CBus + CFLs

Kevin/Alan,

Can you please provide some more info on this capacitor issue - I have a
circuit with 4 x cfl downlighters in and I didn't realise anything extra
needed to be added to the circuit - this in a wired C-Bus install if it
makes any difference.

As an aside, I have several lamp points that are wired to dimmer channels,
but finding cheap dimmable cfl's is proving to be difficult - what are my
options for using a single cfl in the lamps - can anything be done or so I
have to splash the cash and buy some dimmable LED bulbs, and would there be
anough power draw with the LED's for it to operate correctly ?

Cheers,
Greg

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Kevin Hawkins <yahoogroupskh@...> wrote:

> Alan - have you already sourced your wireless Saturn relays /dimmers ?
> If not I might be able to do you a good deal from a bulk buy a while
> back  - drop me an email offlist...  Happy to consider swapsies for
any
> wired as well as I have some places already with cable and no switches
yet.

> The capacitors need to be 'X2' and I sourced some off eBay.  I think
> mine were 400V rated and are physically quite large - they don't get
hot
> but you need to ensure they are well insulated in the way you attach
> them.   They are needed on relays as both channels require power
> trickle, and CFL's can flicker when off.   They're good even for
> incandescents too as otherwise your switch stops working when a bulb
> blows...

> On 24/11/2011 13:51, Alan Middleton wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm planning to install some Saturn Wireless CBus Relays. These
will control standard pendant light fittings which will have CFL lamps
installed.

> > The instructions say "A mains rated 1 uF capacitor must be
wired in parallel with a CF lamp".

> > Does anyone have a spec sheet for an appropriate capacitor, a
supplier and advise on where to place this; since I presume it gets hot
should it be in the ceiling void?

> > Kind Regards
> >

> > Alan
> >

> > **
> > A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other
invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and
tequila.