Re: Should I re-rip all my movies??!!

On 4 November 2011 15:05, Paul Gordon <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
> By re-encoding, were you able to preserve the AC3 soundtrack? Does the
video
> quality suffer at all?

As John said, the AppleTV 2 preset in Handbrake automatically puts 2
audio tracks - stereo and AC3.  That's good for me because I'm still 2
channel only in my lounge* (yes I know, I'll say 5 holy dolby digitals
as penance) and handbrake seems to do a very good job of down mixing,
much better than most I've experienced.  i.e. you can actually hear
the dialogue without turning the volume up to the point where a the
background noise wakes the kids.

I'm no video purist*, but to my eyes the two are identical when viewed
on a computer.  Certainly compared to my dvd player connected by RGB
the quality of the same movie over ATV is much much better, and that's
good enough for me.

* I used to feel differently about this. I used to have a very good
5.1 receiver, and 5 years ago I spent ages working out exactly which
h264 settings gave me a picture quality that was identical to the
original but gave me maximum compression on a wide selection of movies
to compare.  But then firstly the amp died and actually I realised I
didn't miss surround sound all that much, and then disk space got
cheaper. And finally I realised I'd spent so long messing around and
no time actually enjoying it, so I decided that simplicity,
reliability, and ease of use trumps all.

> On my DVD rips to VIDEO_TS, I have *already* (in 99% of cases anyway),
got
> rid of all menus, extras, subtitles, & languages, so none of those
present
> any issues for me.

So it's not just me that find all that menu stuff annoying then :-)

Sam

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums