Re: Laika Revealed - Plex Gets Official Windows Client, Cloud Sharing, Plus New OSX & Mobile Clients

Hi Phil,
> [..] but I don't have four years to wait for a bit of software to
> mature into something that's usable.

Comes from being at the bleeding edge :)

> Decent PVR integration would be cool but at the end of the day you're
> not going to get support for Virgin cable or Sky on there so it's
> already a poor substitute IMO.
> Basically I just want something that works and I don't want to have
> to put my TV on to play a piece of music or listen to some internet
> radio ... mind you - no matter what you do people are never happy.

As a few of you may recall, I'm a LinuxMCE addict. And while it is still
cumbersome to setup, and very picky about hardware and all, there are
two things that i does, and that might fit your needs

<LinuxMCE-Advertisement>
a) You control audio using your iPhone, and it won't turn on your TV if
you just listen to musik. It will however of course take care of your amp.

b) From the beginning, LinuxMCE was built to support so called legacy AV
support, which integrates devices like skyboxes into the system in a
way, that the output of them is usable throughout the network.

As you are living in the UK, you might want to contact Dianemo, which
builds turn-key systems based on a LinuxMCE variant (we are exchanging
updates and changes with them, but they have their own code base). Maybe
that fits your bill.

</LinuxMCEAdvertisement>

For me, a) was THE main reason for LinuxMCE.
--
Best regards

Peer Oliver Schmidt
PGP Key ID: 0x83E1C2EA