Connecting to Free WiFi Hotspots with a Router/AP?

  • Subject: Connecting to Free WiFi Hotspots with a Router/AP?
  • From: Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 08:15:54 +0100

Hi all,

I'm looking to provide a bit of fail-over resilience to my home internet
connection. I know I can use a 3G dongle in my main router (Vigor 2820n)
but
I'm also in range of free wifi hotspots and the 2820n also supports backup
via a 2nd ethernet connection, so that would be free :-)

What I want to do is have a 2nd router which can connect to one of the free
hotspots and feed that into my main router via ethernet. The problem lies
in
the log-on for the free hotspots being via a browser window, not by network
credentials (WEP key / WPA passphrase, etc.) as you'd normally set up for
your own wireless network.

So is it possible to connect to a hotspot with a router (or access point)
and provide this backup? Ideally keeping the connection alive as well and
not having to log-in exery X minutes after the hotspot connection has
expired.

Many thanks,

Tim.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums