RE: Water softeners

  • Subject: RE: Water softeners
  • From: Simon Haslam <simon_haslam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 13:14:11 +0100 (BST)

Ah yes, that's on my list for when the round tuit arrives! For the
dual chamber metered softeners (like Kenetico/Crown/Harveys) it's a real
pain if you notice the water has gone hard again (we normally see it on
tea) since you need to regenerate both chambers (i.e. do one, wait
overnight for the water in the machine to get salty, do another).

I was wondering if you could use a probe to measure the conductivity of the
water (i.e. saltiness) inside the bottom of the softener? Then maybe below
a certain threshold it could trigger a signal on a 1-wire sensor. That
said, maybe optical is closer to what others will have done already, e.g.
reading gas meters.

Simon