Re: Solar PV ?

> Like you, I will definetly be wanting ethernet or serial data
from the
> inverter so I can monitor via the house server. Most just seem to use
> bluetooth, which seems slightly odd as I always thought BT had a very
> limited range i.e. 1-10M max, not too good if the invertor is in the
loft at
> the other end of the house and my monitor is downstairs and the signal
also
> has to travel through a few brick walls.

The SMA inverters have one comms socket, you can plug either a Bluetooth
module, a RS232 module or a RS485 module. The RS232 module seems to be a
bit
difficult get hold of, so I stuck with RS485 as I'm not too keen on
wireless. A cheap RS485 to USB serial adapter off eBay and a lot of head
scratching later (due to SMAs lack of up to date docs) and it all seems
pretty fabulous!

With further reading, it seems the Bluetooth module is pretty loud, so he
display gizmo can hear it, they also have external antennas to make it even
louder. There are a few third party software packages about the let you use
a standard USB Bluetooth dongle as a receiver to the one in the inverter,
save the trouble of running cable....

There is also the Sunny WebBox, which gives a pretty web based from end to
your system, but the prices are a bit ridiculous...

Lee

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums