Re: Hi-Def video senders (long post, sorry!)

I could be wrong about this, but I think the systems that use two
ethernet =
cables are simply dumping the HDMI signals down the wires (possibly with
am=
plification), hence they need 2 cables and are largely point to point. The
=
Just Add Power guys  (http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/New-Products/Just-Add-=
Power-HDMI-over-IP-2G-European-Launch.html) actually convert the HDMI
signa=
l and wrap it up in TCP/IP packet to send to the destination across the
sta=
ndard gigabit Ethernet network. Several advantages to it - you can
"broadca=
st" to several receivers, you can "group" receivers together
etc.

Usual disclaimer: Not connected to any of the companies, would love to use
=
Just Add Power, but can't afford it ...... yet.

Jamie

On 12 May 2011, at 13:49, Paul Gordon wrote:

> Yes, they are, since posting I've found one... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex=
tender-SINGLE-Cat5e-network-cable/dp/B003YSW66Q/ref=3Dpd_sim_ce_16 but I
ha=
ve to admit to being rather sceptical about just how well these could
work,=
since the vast majority of available units do demand 2 cables... - somethi=
ng must be being missed or compromised to squeeze it all down 1 cable
surel=
y?
>=20
> I'd be more than happy to take a personal recommendation from anyone
who'=
s tried one though... :-)
>=20
> Paul G.
>=20
Brian Smith
> Sent: 12 May 2011 13:08
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Hi-Def video senders (long post, sorry!)
>=20
> I'm pretty sure that single cat5 HDMI senders are available too so
that m=
ight be another option. I'll dig out some links when I get to a pc.
>=20
> On 12 May 2011, at 12:33, Paul Gordon <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
>=20
> > Hi Peeps, having finally got a nice shiny new TiVo from Virgin,
I'm
> > consequently ditching my (much hated) Sky+HD box, and at the same
time
> > having to revisit how I distribute the signal from the lounge to
the
> > kitchen... a number of possible options are on the table and I
like to =
seek
> > the groups collective wisdom & advice...
> >=20
> > I have SWMBO approval to purchase a new Home Cinema amp for the
lounge,=
and
> > I'm looking at the Denon AVR3311... there are a couple of
features that=
> > particularly like on this model, that I think will be very useful
in my
> > quest to finally distribute a "decent" picture to the
kitchen TV, which=
is
> > full-HD capable:
> > - It has 2 x HDMI outputs, & fully supports using both
concurrently for
> > separate displays
> > - It supports HDMI pass-through whilst in standby (so I don't
have to h=
ave
> > the amp powered on all the time)
> > I need to check on a couple of specifics before I purchase: - it
also h=
as a
> > set of component outputs, but I need to confirm how that's
implemented =
> > determine if that's also something I could use to distribute HD
to a 2n=
> > display (e.g. does that also support pass-through in standby?)
> >=20
> > I currently use a set of KAT5 modules to send S-Video from the
SCART on=
the
> > Sky box over a single CAT5 to the kitchen. The new TiVo has a
SCART
> > available, but as yet I don't know what signals are available
from it, =
so I
> > don't know yet if it outputs S-Video (in which case I _could_
just cont=
inue
> > to use the same method).
> >=20
> > Since the source & display are both HD capable, & have
spare HDMI ports=
, I'd
> > love to use a HDMI signal, but - and this is the bit where Mark
McCall =
will
> > no doubt laugh his way out of his undergarments... - all
HDMI-CAT5 send=
ers
> > that I'm aware of require TWO CAT5 runs, and I don't currently
have eno=
ugh
> > CAT5 runs to the location in the kitchen where the TV is
situated... :-=
0 (I
> > can hear him chuckling already!)
> >=20
> > So as I see it, my choices as far as source signal go are:
> > 1:Stick with S-video - issue there is I'm not 100% certain the
TiVo pro=
vides
> > it on its SCART
> > 2:Use Component from the new amp - issue there is I'm not certain
it ca=
n be
> > used in standby, & I'd prefer not to *have* to leave the amp
on all the=
time
> > 3:Use HDMI - Issue here is I don't have 2 x CAT5 runs between the
TX & =
RX
> > ends
> >=20
> > It's probably not impossible to get a new CAT5 run to the TV
location, =
but
> > it's definitely a PITA, & a load of additional work I'd
prefer not to h=
ave
> > to do...
> >=20
> > The TiVo source only has a single HDMI, currently connected to
the livi=
ng
> > room TV. My plan would be to replace the current amp with the
3311, con=
nect
> > all HDMI sources directly to that. 1 of the HDMI outputs from the
amp t=
hen
> > goes to the living room TV, leaving a spare HDMI output available
which
> > carries the same signal as the first one, & thus could be
used to feed =
the
> > kitchen. Since both HDMI's (allegedly) passthrough while the amp
is in
> > standby, I don't have to rely on the amp always being powered on
for th=
> > remote TV to get a feed... There is also a _possibility_ of
having a
> > component output available for the same purpose depending on the
passth=
ough
> > operation... (I'm not counting on that though).
> >=20
> > So assuming I decide to tap off the 2nd HDMI... - I can either go
wired=
(but
> > then I'd definitely need to retro-fit another CAT5 run), or there
are
> > wireless HDMI extenders available... (for a greater cost of
course). Lo=
oks
> > like wired HDMI-CAT5 units can be got from as little as =A330-odd
at th=
e cheap
> > end, with mid-range units available for well under a ton...
Wireless on=
es
> > OTOH, look like they only start at about =A3180-ish and go all
the way =
up to
> > =A3stupid money....
> >=20
> > Wireless would be a *lot* easier to retro-fit, and most also
provide th=
> > return IR signal too.. such as this one:
> > http://www.maplin.co.uk/wireless-hdmi-video-sender-kit-503801
- but I j=
ust
> > have an intense aversion to wireless video senders based on all
my prev=
ious
> > experiences of them (i,e, not one has ever worked to my entire
> > satisfaction).=20
> >=20
> > So, after all that rambling, I'll get to the point of my post, -
which =
is to
> > ask specifically if anyone has direct personal experience of ANY
HDMI v=
ideo
> > senders, either wired or wireless, and would care to offer
comments/opi=
nions
> > on them to aid my decision making process?... Or, does anyone
already h=
ave a
> > Denon 3311 & could answer my remaining questions regarding
its operatio=
n?
> >=20
> > And the obvious advice to come out of all this is: RUN MORE CAT5
CABLE =
THAN