Re: Hi-Def video senders (long post, sorry!)

  • Subject: Re: Hi-Def video senders (long post, sorry!)
  • From: "Derek Holtham" <derek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 11:59:48 -0000

Not tried it myself, but been reading up on HDBaseT recently  - would this
=
'HDMI over Single Cat 5 (HDBaseT) Extender' be of any use? see http://www.h=
dcable.co.uk/hdmi-over-hdbaset-extender.html.

I have used hdcable.co.uk before and their customer service is excellent
in=
my opinion, although the (admittedly very cheap) HDMI matrix I bought from=
them is a bit flaky.

Regards, Derek

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Paul Gordon <paul_gordon@...> wrote:

> Hi Peeps, having finally got a nice shiny new TiVo from Virgin, I'm
> consequently ditching my (much hated) Sky+HD box, and at the same time
> having to revisit how I distribute the signal from the lounge to the
> kitchen... a number of possible options are on the table and I like to
se=
ek
> the groups collective wisdom & advice...
>=20
> I have SWMBO approval to purchase a new Home Cinema amp for the
lounge, a=
nd
> I'm looking at the Denon AVR3311... there are a couple of features
that I
> particularly like on this model, that I think will be very useful in
my
> quest to finally distribute a "decent" picture to the
kitchen TV, which i=
> full-HD capable:
> - It has 2 x HDMI outputs, & fully supports using both
concurrently for
> separate displays
> - It supports HDMI pass-through whilst in standby (so I don't have to
hav=
> the amp powered on all the time)
> I need to check on a couple of specifics before I purchase: - it also
has=
> set of component outputs, but I need to confirm how that's implemented
> determine if that's also something I could use to distribute HD to a
2nd
> display (e.g. does that also support pass-through in standby?)
>=20
> I currently use a set of KAT5 modules to send S-Video from the SCART
on t=
he
> Sky box over a single CAT5 to the kitchen. The new TiVo has a SCART
> available, but as yet I don't know what signals are available from it,
so=
> don't know yet if it outputs S-Video (in which case I _could_ just
contin=
ue
> to use the same method).
>=20
> Since the source & display are both HD capable, & have spare
HDMI ports, =
I'd
> love to use a HDMI signal, but - and this is the bit where Mark McCall
wi=
ll
> no doubt laugh his way out of his undergarments... - all HDMI-CAT5
sender=
> that I'm aware of require TWO CAT5 runs, and I don't currently have
enoug=
> CAT5 runs to the location in the kitchen where the TV is situated...
:-0 =
(I
> can hear him chuckling already!)
>=20
> So as I see it, my choices as far as source signal go are:
> 1:Stick with S-video - issue there is I'm not 100% certain the TiVo
provi=
des
> it on its SCART
> 2:Use Component from the new amp - issue there is I'm not certain it
can =
be
> used in standby, & I'd prefer not to *have* to leave the amp on
all the t=
ime
> 3:Use HDMI - Issue here is I don't have 2 x CAT5 runs between the TX
& RX
> ends
>=20
> It's probably not impossible to get a new CAT5 run to the TV location,
bu=
> it's definitely a PITA, & a load of additional work I'd prefer not
to hav=
> to do...
>=20
> The TiVo source only has a single HDMI, currently connected to the
living
> room TV. My plan would be to replace the current amp with the 3311,
conne=
ct
> all HDMI sources directly to that. 1 of the HDMI outputs from the amp
the=
> goes to the living room TV, leaving a spare HDMI output available
which
> carries the same signal as the first one, & thus could be used to
feed th=
> kitchen. Since both HDMI's (allegedly) passthrough while the amp is in
> standby, I don't have to rely on the amp always being powered on for
the
> remote TV to get a feed... There is also a _possibility_ of having a
> component output available for the same purpose depending on the
passthou=
gh
> operation... (I'm not counting on that though).
>=20
> So assuming I decide to tap off the 2nd HDMI... - I can either go
wired (=
but
> then I'd definitely need to retro-fit another CAT5 run), or there are
> wireless HDMI extenders available... (for a greater cost of course).
Look=
> like wired HDMI-CAT5 units can be got from as little as =A330-odd at
the =
cheap
> end, with mid-range units available for well under a ton... Wireless
ones
> OTOH, look like they only start at about =A3180-ish and go all the way
up=
> =A3stupid money....
>=20
> Wireless would be a *lot* easier to retro-fit, and most also provide
the
> return IR signal too.. such as this one:
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/wireless-hdmi-video-sender-kit-503801
- but I jus=
> have an intense aversion to wireless video senders based on all my
previo=
us
> experiences of them (i,e, not one has ever worked to my entire
> satisfaction).=20
>=20
> So, after all that rambling, I'll get to the point of my post, - which
is=
> ask specifically if anyone has direct personal experience of ANY HDMI
vid=
eo
> senders, either wired or wireless, and would care to offer
comments/opini=
ons
> on them to aid my decision making process?... Or, does anyone already
hav=
e a
> Denon 3311 & could answer my remaining questions regarding its
operation?
>=20
> And the obvious advice to come out of all this is: RUN MORE CAT5 CABLE
TH=
AN
> YOU THINK YOU'LL EVER NEED!!!! :-)
>=20