Re: Sonos or Squeeze

  • Subject: Re: Sonos or Squeeze
  • From: "Scott" <jslewis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 15:58:06 -0000

Hi guys

I have a number of squeezebox duets and have recently purchased for the
kit=
ched a Danish Sumoh S30 amp http://www.sumoh.dk/ which I purchased from
htt=
p://www.wifimedia.eu/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=3Dtinyamp&=
x=3D0&y=3D0=20

I'm really pleased, it supplies DC power to the squeezebox, so no need for
=
an additional A/C outlet and when the amp detects no music playing, it
auto=
matically goes into standby, all works brilliantly it only has digital
inpu=
t, both optical and coaxial, so ideally suited to the squeezebox.  They
als=
o do a higher power output version the S60, but for a kitchen, the S30 is
m=
ore than adequate, I hooked it up to a Monitor Audio stereo ceiling
speaker=
and I'm really pleased with the whole installation, the sound is great.  N=
ot the cheapest solution out there (=A3200 inc. shipping for the amp), but
=
the neatest, short of Logitech producing an integrated amp version
squeezeb=
ox, but then not sure what the sound quality would be like, Logitech
aren't=
exactly a HiFi brand.

Anyway I recommend the Sumoh S30 and wifimedia were excellent, delivery
too=
k a little while, but I believe that's because the manufacturers can't
keep=
up with demand at the moment.

I'm also using the Android "Squeeze Commander" app to control the
squeezebo=
xes on my android phone and I have to say it's brilliant, in some ways,
bet=
ter than the Logitech Duet controller,  Certainly easier to set up, so
easy=
in fact there wasn't any set up! My HTC Desire Z was already connected to =
my WiFi network, I installed the app from the Android market, fired it up
a=
nd it just worked, no setting up server IP addresses or anything, it just
w=
orked!  This is how software should be written! Wish the big software
house=
s would take note!

Cheers,

Scott

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Brian Smith <briview@...> wrote:

> Hi Kyle
>=20
> From my experience there is usually a slight 'blip' when devices join
or =
leave a group. I don't find it too much of an issue as zone configs aren't
=
that dynamic.
>=20
> On the question of Sonos vs Squeeze; my main complaint on the Squeeze
ran=
ge is the lack of amp integrated zone player. This forces an external amp
a=
nd introduces amp switching issues.  Having said that my current plan is
to=
stick with it.