A little project I'm working on...

  • Subject: A little project I'm working on...
  • From: Tom Lawrence <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 14:57:07 +0000

I thought I'd put off my university work still and tell you all about
a little application I'm working on as at the moment  it seems much more
interesting than putting test results in to excel.

Anyway, this application at the moment is called HA and quite simply stands
for Home Automation, I got the desire to start creating this application
after I was linked to this guys site, http://www.avbrand.com/ (really
interesting, should take a look)
Since reading it I knew I must do the same (remotely flush my toilet)..  I
knew there are systems out there to do it yourself (mister house?) but I
wanted to write it myself, that way you have the most control over what the
system does. I put some code together and mentioned this to a friend who
has since been working with me to create it to what it is now, although
this was around a month ago so still in the very early stages of
awesomeness.

So what is this application I'm talking about, well it compromises of 3
applications.. Server, Client and Subclients

The Server
The server is the brains behind the operation are at the moment has these
functions

Able to control x10 devices
Able to execute scripts (These include scripts there were already running
on my WHS (TVSorter: http://code.google.com/p/tvsorter/,
Media Companion, various backup scripts etc)
Interfaces with XBMC
Able to wol networked machines

A pretty small list but quite large considering its been only a month and
is quite stable and also we are suppose to be doing final year projects..
:D

The Client
Clients interfaces with the Server via TCP or the HTTP API and is basically
a frontend of the server, the client is quite stupid without, although the
client is also a remote for XBMC.
The idea of "The Client" is that is does everything and as a
result its quite ugly looking which brings me to the Subclients

The Subclients
More of a class of clients these are clients that don't do everything.  We
have a few sub clients which run on Android and Windows Phone 7 (http://goo.gl/boLI0<http://goo.gl/boLI0>), we
are looking to Flash as a next client which will allow us to run a client
on the o2 Joggler.

Anyway if this is something people are interested in I'll keep you updated,
if not feel free to tell me to never speak of this again :D
But if you've got any ideas how where to expand this too I'd be interested
to hear them.

Have a good weekend!

Regards,
Tom