Re: 20 Bay 4U case unRAID build

  • Subject: Re: 20 Bay 4U case unRAID build
  • From: "keyvan2r" <k1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 19:17:52 -0000

I have added some new photos of the finished box...

http://tinyurl.com/6jvmbkn

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "keyvan2r" <k1@...> wrote:

> Thank you.
> I think I have posted here before about my issues with WHS and
streaming HD.
> I have now been using unraid on a 7 disk modified (drive cages)
desktop since last June.
> The system has behaved flawlessly for my purposes - it just works -
has not fallen over yet!!. I can stream to 5 (most clients I have) and
disks all spin down one hour (selectable) after the movie has finished
playing. All the database management is done on a little aton powered whs
box so I dont't wake up the disks for browsing titles, so I don't worry too
much about heat & power and with
> cost of 2tb drives coming down and the number of bluray releases going
up it starts to make sense.
> There is a good support community on the forum and some very useful
add-ons if you don't mind a tiny bit of cli linux.
> It gives me some fault tolerance without a high space overhead. It's
hardware agnostic - if a motherboard or a sata host card fails, I don't
have to worry about finding the exact model/make raid card. I can rebuild
the system using any unraid supported hardware.

> So I have to say my experiences of Unraid are so far so good. At some
point I have to settle on a large capacity storage solution for my movie
collection at home. I think for me the unraid box will last for a few years
- my collection would have to increase four-fold before I need to look at
another box.

> > Nice pictures.
> >
> > There's also Flexraid http://www.flexraid.com/ if you want an
> > alternative to Unraid
> >
> > I've only managed an 8 disk media server like the AutomatedHome
jukebox
> > though I'm using FreeBSD and ZFS instead of Unraid. Will be
interesting
> > to hear your experiences of Unraid.
> >
> > If you need some more reading on the various options...
> >
> > There's a long thread here
> > http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1071162
> >
> > And lots of others here
> > http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29