Re: Introductory Message

On 31/01/11 15:05, Tom Lawrence wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just signed up to the mailing list and well this is my introductory
message.

> I'm from the UK, (What is the general consensus here? UK? USA?) and
currently a final year student at Staffordshire University, my final year
project is on open source firewalls but I'm thinking now I should have done
something related to HA.

> My setup at the moment consists of a WHS and mythTV with XBMC which
isn't very automated but being a student and moving house frequently I've
not really had the time/money/space etc. I have however ordered some X10
toys, although they have yet to arrive and also started to develop a system
to control them and various other things I have planned including
controlling arduinos and gathering data from XBMC for example.. as well as
being a client for the house/computers.. currently it also allows me to do
various tasks that normally require RDP'ing to my WHS.

> If anyone is interested I wrote a small little app to hide all the
metadata in my TV and Films folder, keeps the folders looking tidy when you
navigate to the shares. I'm happy to share if anyone wants it...

> Any who, that is a little about me.
>
> Regards,
> Tom

Welcome

Personally I find the UK to be much better than the US :-p

Sounds like you've got the base of a good system there. Just keep
tinkering and write up all the cool stuff you do :-)

Similarly, I'm running Misterhouse with a few X10 appliances. Just about
to make the move to Z-Wave, and have also got a bunch of Jeenodes
(Arduino derivatives) on order to play with in the near future.

Kyle, from sunny Scotland

--
Kyle Gordon - 2M1DIQ
Web: http://lodge.glasgownet.com