Fw: Re: Further to my ADSL Faceplate Question

  • Subject: Fw: Re: Further to my ADSL Faceplate Question
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 07:47:07 +0000

These are excellent routers with Broadcom chipsets. Even with the
standard
Netgear firmware you may see improvements.

For example, I have around 8 old DSL modems, mostly TI chipsets, which
sync at 6.5mb. These broadcom units sync at 7.5mb without doing anything,
and 8mb with the DGTeam tweaks. Use the Netgear firmware recovery to wipe
them to standard units, then optionally put DGTeam on them.

Hi, All interesting stuff this - I didn't see any cheap router
recommendations, so here's mine - I'd pick up a White Sky Router on Ebay -
mine cost me about a tenner - these are in fact Netgear DG834GT routers
and are really good.  They are supposed to be "locked" to Sky,
but if you
Google DGTeam you'll see they supply free tools to remove the sky firmware
and allow you to put either Netgear Firmware back, or the very very good,
free, DGTeam firmware - it allows you to do lots of cool things like
select the SNR that your router operates at so you can wring the last few
K out of your connection.

Cheers

Tim.