Re: LinkUSB 1-wire controller & virtual machines...

Is maybe Windows setting up a COM port on the serial interface, and
refusing to give it up? Try uninstalling the drivers from the device in
Windows, and unplug and plug back in. When prompted to install drivers,
skip it all or abort the process.

Hopefully that will leave an unconfigured USB device that can be
associated with VMWare or Virtualbox.

Alternatively, use Linux as a host OS. USB devices in Virtualbox Just
Work(tm) :)

Kyel

On 11/01/11 14:09, leewild80 wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Has anyone successfully got a LinkUSB 1-wire controller working under
a VM ?

> I've not had any luck so far.
>
> I created a new CentOS 5.5 guest VM on a Windows XP host (using latest
VMWare Player).
> When I connect the LinkUSB to the host, it sets up the drivers.
> But if I try and connect the "FTDI FT232R Uart" USB device
to the guest, it just results in an error, and the guest never sees it.

> I wondered if this was a VMWare issue, so I used the OVFTool utility
to convert to OVF, installed the latest VirtualBox, and tried importing the
image.
> Image runs up fine in VirtualBox 4, but again I get an error when I
try and connect the "FTDI FT232R Uart" USB device.
> VirtualBox gives an error message:
> Failed to attach the USB device "Unknown Device" to the
virtual machine.