Re: Web page help please

  Rather than over-engineering the solution using URL rewriting, the
simplest way to do it is to use folders:

Instead of links.htm, create a folder called links and within it, create
a page called index.htm

www.mywebsite.co.uk/links/index.htm

By default, if the user then just types

www.mywebsite.co.uk/links

it will serve them the www.mywebsite.co.uk/links/index.htm page

This is because the web server looks (typically) for a page called
index.htm if you don't give it the actual page name. Different web
servers support different names for these 'default documents', such as
default.htm. However, most recognise index.htm.

Create a similar folder for sales, etc.

However, I have to ask why you're bothering. People rarely type in the
name of specific page in the browser address bar unless they know
specifically what it is.

Hope that helps,
Steve

On 06/01/2011 19:21, Tim Hawes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have googled this but I'm not quite sure what the search terms
should be.
> What I want is for a user to be able to type (for e.g.)
> www.mywebsite.co.uk/links and the webserver to return the
> www.mywebsite.co.uk/links.htm page, etc. Same thing also for
"sales" or
> "contactus" pages, etc. So the user doesn't need to know the
precise name
> and extension of the page itself.
>
> How is it done, or what is it's proper name so that I can research it
> myself?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Tim.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums