Re: Moving air through Node 0 (the computer cupboard!) - do your attics stay cool?

Hi All,

Sorry to the reply to my own post, but typically, Marks top 20 Hit list was
quite timely as in at number 10 was for ' Martyn Wendon's Four Nodes http://bit.ly/glPC1L '!
Which just so happen to cover the subject of Hydroponic Fans.

Which seems like this could be a plan, still need to see how loud these
things are - ( is Martyn on the list by chance?)

Anyways - this brings me on to another question. These fans can also be
used with filter units and my thought was, do I attempt to suck the hot air
from node 0 and push to the attic (and theoretically heat the attic with
warm air), or would the air up there be cool enough to push into node 0
there by pushing the warm air back into the house (my current cost unit is
registering a cool 27 in there at the min!!) - The filter unit in the attic
to filter out all the dust etc out of the air before pushing it back into
the living space. My worry being that during the summer months - could the
attic get hotter than node 0 (the cupboard) and I end up pushing warmer air
back in there,

I dont think these things are intelligent enough to be reversible fans -
otherwise I guess some sort of smart temp monitoring might be an idea that
could push or pull depending on where the cooler air was. (daydreaming
now!)

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers
Wayne.

On 30 Dec 2010, at 00:44, Wayne wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Some time ago I seem to recall a discussion on cooling Node 0, one of
the suggestions were to use a Hydroponics Inline Fan to 'suck' air through.

> I've been 'ebay browsing' and have come up with this -> http://bit.ly/dJStDj
(amongst others)

> This one seemingly nice and quiet (only 27db @ 3m ?!) - is that indeed
quiet? (based on my other google search of 'how loud is a db anyways! - http://bit.ly/fYV8nc - drop
down the page and the 'accepted' answer was 30db being a whisper)

> My idea being to shove this thing up in the loft and leave it running
- sucking air through the top of the cupboard (its on the 1st floor) and
just venting it to the loft space. I've got power up there so that
shouldn't be a problem but was wondering if these things like running 24/7.

> Hopefully I can bolt this to the brickwork on the separating wall (a
terrace house) so any vibration it does generate wont be rattling through
the floor or beams.