Re: x10 vs Consumer Unit

  • Subject: Re: x10 vs Consumer Unit
  • From: "ian" <ianh1000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 13:30:01 -0000

Hi John,=20
I agree with Tim's comments.=20

I have used a CM12 on a downstairs ring and used to be able to control X10
=
across all rings in the house including the garage which is on a long spur
=
connection.=20

As I have added more tech kit the noise generated (mostly switch mode
power=
supplies) has made X10 just about unusable. If I turn off my Sonos devices=
for example things get much better. I did try some new LED lights and they=
killed X10 completley!

try turning off some of the likely cuprits and se if things get better,
you=
could then try a filter on the worst devices.=20

I like Tim tried moving my CM12 and have currently found it works best
conn=
ected to a lighting ring!

I think unfortunatley that X10 is just not reliable enough with all of the
=
noise generated by modern tech kit.=20

My house was recently selected for a trial by a large UK utility. They
will=
be installing a monitoing solution for Gas and Electricity use and a numbe=
r of inteligent Zwave sockets that monitor energy used and provide control
=
like X10. If that works well I may change to Zwave as I can get an
interfac=
e for Comfort.

I will drop a note on here when I have used the new hardware for a few
week=
s.=20

Regards
Ian=20

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@...> wrote:

> Hi John,
>=20
> I'm not an expert =96 just passing on my own experiences of X10 :-)
>=20
> I think it is "usual" to be able to pass X10 through a
consumer unit =96 =
e.g.
> I have a mini-timer on one circuit with a variety of X10 modules
(plug-in
> and hardwired) on different circuits from the consumer unit for
controlli=
ng
> christmas lights.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> What I have found though is that X10 can be sensitive to noise so I
have
> had to experiment with the best place for the mini-timer. I've got
some
> lights controlled with a module in an outside shed and with the
mini-time=
> in its normal position (node zero) they refused to operate. Moving the
> controller closer to the consumer unit has helped and now all my
snowmen
> and trees etc. switch on & off on as planned :-)
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I suspect it's either my PS3, or LCD TV, or both putting some noise
out
> onto the mains and I haven't bothered getting a noise filter to fix it
> properly. It's only really an issue at this time of year when all the
xma=
> lights are up! I have had some success in the past supressing noise by
> plugging the offending item into a surge protected power strip.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Perhaps you could try moving your CM12 to a different socket on the
ring,
> maybe closer to the consumer unit and/or further away from potential
nois=
> sources.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> HTH,
>=20
> Tim.
>=20
> On 19 December 2011 16:55, John Murray <John@...> wrote:
>=20
> > Looking for some help:
> >
> > I have a fairly standard single phase consumer unit in my utility
room =
at
> > home with separate circuit breakers for kitchen sockets,
downstairs
> > sockets,
> > downstairs lights, upstairs sockets etc.  I use x10 modules in
the loun=
ge
> > control lamps and games consoles etc, but cannot use the x10
outside of=
the
> > downstairs sockets ring where my CM12U controller is plugged in.
I'd l=
ove
> > to be able to control 'downstairs lights', or 'kitchen sockets',
but ca=
n't.