From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Paul Gale
Sent: 15 December 2011 10:49
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Re: long HDMI 1.4 cable problems

Yes, you'll likely have all kinds of problems over 5-8m or so (opinion
varies). I recently went through a load of problems similar to you - I
bought loads of supposedly good HDMI cables (v1.4 with Ethernet capable)
from a web supplier HDCable. In the end I sent everything back (they had
great cust service though) including a matrix switcher and HDMI over Cat5
extenders and bought some much more expensive QED cables. The QED cables
were significantly thicker but obviously had better shielding. All works
fine now with none of the picture/signal dropout that I had before.

BTW - my longest run was only 5m too!

I also had huge problems with kit not handshaking properly/at all with the
lower priced cables.

Being so used to scoffing at all the snake oil claims out there for
analogue
cables, the problems I had with HDMI came as quite a surprise - in this
case
buying expensive cables actually is worth it IMO.

Oh, and my kit is a Panasonic 50" TX-P50GT30, a Pioneer VSX-LX55 and a
Pioneer 3D bluray player. The 3D connection/recognition between the
player/amp/TV was the most problematic - all solved now though.

These are the cables I went with:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0045D0ER2

I think the 10m cables are pretty expensive though. Also lots of people out
there suggesting you really need an active cable with signal booster for
cable runs over 5-8m (I read up a lot but opinion varies) - guess it's
partly down to kit, cable quality, shielding and placement near other RF
noisy stuff.

Paul.