Intercom recommendations please

  • Subject: Intercom recommendations please
  • From: Erik Carlson <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:42:50 +0100

Hi All,

I am looking for intercom recommendations, preferably wall mountable,
though
this may not take place on day 1.

We have recently moved from living in a flat to our first house with 3
levels and lots of stairs. My wife, who is pregnant, has taken to shouting
across the house at the top of her voice rather than going up and down the
stairs all the time. Understandable if you ask me, but not ideal.

I have considered using our DECT phones to call each other, however this
doesn't seem to be workable, the phones get lost around the house and any
given phone could be in any given room at any time and there is no paging
function on our system. She would not have the patience to keep dialing
through all the possible extensions to try to reach me.

Years ago (10 years +) i used to have some plug in intercoms that sent
radio
around the mains, but these are long gone and I can't seem to find a
replacement any more. searches for intercoms seem to turn up door entry
phones which is not what I want.

I am looking for a system that would allow me to put multiple units
(probably 4) around the house, be wall mountable (eventually) and allow any
room to announce a message around the rest of the house. I don't care about
addressing an individual room, only broadcasting to the whole house.

Do you have any recommendations for wireless intercoms that would do the
job? if they could do video that would be awesome, but just for geek value,
it's only really audio that's important.

Similarly if there is anything I should avoid please say so.

Most of the house has cat 6 wiring providing Gig Ethernet , there is also
802.11N.

I have searched through archives of this list before posting , but most
conversations seemed to center around using software on PCs which is rather
outside of the scope of this requirement.

Thanks in advance!

Erik

--
Erik Carlson (erik@xxxxxxx) http://www.erik.co.uk