Re: Going completely wireless?

  • Subject: Re: Going completely wireless?
  • From: "iamstevengoodwin" <stevengoodwin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:16:38 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Simon Haslam <simon_haslam@...> wrote:
> The phone cables are interesting - they should/may be 2 twisted pairs,
but obviously not to cat 5 standards. Over short runs you can connect them
up as 100Mb links - I've done this over ~5m without noticing any problem,
though admittedly not with high traffic. You'd also want to look at the
twists and get the pairs connected as per ethernet too.

This is, at least, encouraging. I shall explore these upon returning
post-holiday.

> Possibly more interesting is whether you can use the telephone cables
as draw wires for ethernet cable. This might be viable especially if
they're running in conduits. I suggest you don't go for a very high spec
cable though (e.g. I've got some Krone CAT6A which is really fat) and make
sure you have plenty of washing up liquid to hand and a willing helper
(push-pull). If you could get a CAT5E cable in place of every phone line
you could always use a cable economiser to run a phone line in parallel to
an ethernet outlet (providing 100Mb if OK). Of course this may not give you
as many cables as you want, unless the routing is straightforward and you
can widen the holes at each end before pulling.

I don't think they're in conduits, but I can't yet determine their routes.
Even a single cat5 would be fine, as I have enough old switchers/routers
that can be pushed into service.

> It's a real shame most builders still haven't worked out it would be
better for future homeowners to use CAT5E for all data cabling, even if
they put phone sockets on the end of it.

I have, previously, offered to consult to say this very thing, but to no
avail :(

thanks,

Steev

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums