Re: {Disarmed} New Remote Controlled Thermostatic Electronic Radiator Valve

Neil,

Yes, I was just thinking the same thing. If you have an old boiler, you may
be able to save the large percentages they claim, but when a condensing
boiler starts modulating (due to higher returning water temperature), the
efficiency drops badly, probably wiping out most/all of the headline
'savings' made by the TRVs. I deliberately undersized my new boiler so it
runs at full tilt more of the time...

Lee

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Neil Spellings
<lists2@xxxxxxx>wrote:

> **
>

> On 14/08/2011 22:08, Mark McCall wrote:
> > Chalmor have launched a new remote controlled thermostatic
electronic
> > radiator valve designed to save on gas or oil central heating
costs.

> Hmm...I'd be interested to see how much gas/oil would actually be
saved.

> If my boiler is firing and heating the water for other rads in the
> house, then with a condensing boiler efficiency is increased when the
> temperature differential in the return is higher (i.e. you have more
> demand, lowering the return temperature).
>
> Closing TRVs and isolating more rads would increase the return
> temperature, thus making the boiler less efficient. The boiler would
> still be firing (but perhaps not as hard?) and pumps would still be
> running.
>
> What do others think?
>
> Cheers
>
> Neil