RE: X10 LD11 Incandescent bulbs phased out.. Halogen Bayonet bulbs OK?

> Hey Phil,

Hey Dave :-)

> Seems you are not the only with Greenpeace issues?

I don't really have Greenpeace issues as such and believe it or not I do at
heart support what they're trying to do on the whole but as time goes on
they seem to me to almost be trying to stay confrontational and going
"Right, what can we take a swing at next?"

> This lot of nutters in Indonesia are targeting them too

...as opposed to this particular nutter in the UK? :-D

> but in this case the work of Greenpeace is for a very valid reason.

:-D

I just hate it when people nowadays refer to Carbon Dioxide as a poisonous
gas - as though they've suddenly done a masters in chemistry and the rest
o=
us are knuckle-dragging reprebate News-Of-The-World readers who now no
longer have anything to do with our free hand since it has stopped being
printed ... it might be poisonous to human (and animal) life in general in
high enough quantities but we're one hell of a long way from those
quantities and it's debatable just what proportion of the CO2 in the
atmosphere is actually human generated.

At the end of the day the whole "eco" thing is being used as a
money making
excercise and that's what p*sses me off ... an example being car tax - my
old RX-8 was reclassified for car tax so that any that were bought after
2007 (IIRC) were liable to =A3500 a year car tax because of their CO2
emissions (pre-2007 cars were still the lower rate although they were
*EXACTLY* the same car) however I fail to see how my yearly car tax payment
is in any way an eco tax. I don't mind paying car tax to have the roads
"maintained" (bwahahaha) but how on earth is it justified on the
basis of
CO2 emissions?

Solar energy ... yes, there's been some long discussions on here about
people getting solar systems installed and banging electricity back out
ont=
the grid because they get paid 43p per unit that they generate under the
government scheme and therefore can offset a large amount of what they use.
This isn't the government being generous or not having seen this as a
"loophole" for the end user or even an eco project ... it's
simply because
it enables locally generated power to be injected into a failing and
desperately inadequate national power grid infrastructure which - to do the
job right - would require massive investment and disruption to renew and
update.

I love the way that the eco crowd are desperately trying to find ways to
"lock away" CO2 so that it can't get into the atmosphere and tout
expensive
algae based fuels as being the answer yet they produce CO2 when burned just
like any fossil fuel. The only difference being that if they grow algae
today to make fuel for burning in a months time then the algae today
extrac=
CO2 from the air (and obviously produce O2 as a "waste") and spew
the CO2
back out again in a months time when they're burned so they're "carbon
neutral" at best. (Hmmm ... of course the energy required to grow the
algae
and process it doesn't really count does it?)

I think there are some pretty big analogies to be drawn between the above
"locking away CO2 so it cannot be released into the atmosphere"
plan and th=
storage and processing of nuclear waste - CO2 has become the new
"nuclear
waste" debate and will become ever increasingly more so over the
coming
years as the populous become increasingly "aware" of the things
that are
going on around them in the big wide world and increasingly unaware of what
is actually happening to *THEM* that they could actually do something about
if they weren't being sidetracked by everything else ... it's the
pickpocke=
diverting your attention elsewhere whilst he steals your wallet!

If governments were actually *REALLY* concerned about the issues here then
they could legislate and do stuff about it however it would make them
unpopular (as the expense would be huge) and the opposition would use that
as a way to get them out of power but of course they'd have to continue
wha=
had been started albeit in a diluted form so it didn't hurt the public
(i.e=
.
the publics pocket) so much ... at the end of the day the "eco"
argument is
a good idea and if I really thought that it meant "ecology" then
I'd be
absolutely supportive but unfortunately IMO the only thing that
"eco" stand=
for (and this applies to governments *AND* GreenPeace) is
"economics"... =
=20

Now, as my old science teacher used to say, ... "Discuss..." :-D

Phil

=20

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums