Re: Useful Gadget of the Week: USB to 4 RS-232 Serial Ports

Phil,

You've hit the nail on the head, Keyspan use the FTDI chips iirc, which
based on comments I've seen are far more dependable that others, and by
virtue of having unique serial numbers do re-appear as the same device.

I have a requirement for USB to 4x serial ports presented as RJ45's ,
which will involve the production of a PCB, and if there was interest
then I could look at multiples.

Stuart

On 04/08/11 10:17, Phil Harris wrote:

> Whyzat?
>
> W.R.T. the original "Prolific chipset" issue raised I have
to say that
> the Prolific units I've had in the past have been OK for non-critical
> use (programming C-Bus, HomeVision etc.) but - as I think was the
> suggestion from the follow-up post - sometimes they *CAN* disconnect
> and reconnect as a different COM port. If you're using USB to serial
> adapters in a commercial (or, more importantly, medical or other
> mission critical environment) then I wouldn't risk the consumer level
> USB to serial interfaces.
>
> For my own "critical" stuff (i.e. HomeGate interface to
RS232 equipped
> kit) I have a couple of the KeySpan USB to four serial port adapters.
> They're expensive and I don't know whether they are still made but
> they've been absolutely bulletproof and have worked in scenarios
> (programming up logic boards and running test kit at work) where other
> USB to serial adapters have failed. They also come up repeatedly as
> the same serial port no matter which USB port on the machine they find
> themselves attached to.
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil

On